Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

P38 Shell Extractor Left Side of Slide

Article about: Merry Christmas to all ! I feel as most collectors do the P38 was well ahead of its time. One thing that I noticed is that the casing extractor is on the left side of the slide. This ejects

Default P38 Shell Extractor Left Side of Slide

Merry Christmas to all !

I feel as most collectors do the P38 was well ahead of its time. One thing that I noticed is that the casing extractor is on the left side of the slide. This ejects the empty shell casing basically to the left. (Ok if one is left handed) . On modern Berettas extractor on right. Has anyone ever questioned why this was done. Are Germans mostly left handed ?

John

Never thought about it before. Just how they were built at the time. There were no more left handed people then than now IMHO.
    John

There are definately NOT more left handed Germans about. In the 1970's, on a family visit to Germany, my brother who is left-handed, was viewed with amazement by them for being left-handed. Apparantly, at the time, it was corrected in German schools, so anybody who used their left hand was something of a rareity.

?

when I was in the first grade in 1949 I was left handed and was made / taught to use my right hand. and now I am ambidextrous.

Quote by War Medals View Post
    Merry Christmas to all !

I feel as most collectors do the P38 was well ahead of its time. One thing that I noticed is that the casing extractor is on the left side of the slide. This ejects the empty shell casing basically to the left. (Ok if one is left handed) . On modern Berettas extractor on right. Has anyone ever questioned why this was done. Are Germans mostly left handed ? John

I have never considered it an issue as the cases are ejected at a steep upward angle.

I am left handed and like most semi-auto pistols the Browing Hi-Power (which I used for 24 years on a regular basis, every ten days on average, during my army service) ejects to the right but this was never the slightest problem to me or any other left hander I served with. The safety catch however was a different matter but the retro fitting of a double or right side safety was simple and could be authorised at formation level for left handers.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

All I can add..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P38 Shell Extractor Left Side of Slide   P38 Shell Extractor Left Side of Slide  

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "