Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

recently acquired 98K

Article about: Here are some photos for those interested. It looks like it has a few stories to tell. It has a nice shiny bore with strong rifling. As you can see the eagles have been peened, that was a su

Default recently acquired 98K

Here are some photos for those interested. It looks like it has a few stories to tell.

It has a nice shiny bore with strong rifling.

As you can see the eagles have been peened, that was a surprise...but other than that the condition was as expected.

Does this indicate it was a Russian capture?

*Any comments or insights are appreciated. I'm here to learn.

TIA.

Last edited by CaptCanuck; 03-03-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Default Re: recently acquired 98K

The stamped swastikas do indicate that it was a Russian capture. What's up with the front sight, though? It looks smooshed. lol

Hi,
    Nice rifle i dont know why the eagle and Swastika has been stamped, most RC rifles over here that are RC has all the marking intact, thanks for showing it.
    Dave.

Added a few more photos, and taking another now of the bolt cutout.

Peened out swastikas can be indicative of post war use by the Israeli Army or the West German Army.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The front sight has a VZ24 czech sight protecter on it.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

A close up of the top view of the receiver ring where most of the information on date, maker, ownership marks etc is would be handy if possible.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    A close up of the top view of the receiver ring where most of the information on date, maker, ownership marks etc is would be handy if possible.
    Certainly:

Made by Gustloff Werke-can't make out the other digit after 4 for year of manufacture-did you add the cleaning rod and magazine capture screw?-these are usually missing on R/C rifles-the stamped front barrel band is a late war feature but as the R/Cs are made up from many salvaged parts it may not be original (my own Mauser Obendorf 1940 made example has a stamped band).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture recently acquired 98K  
    Last edited by lithgow; 03-03-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Made by Gustloff Werke-can't make out the other digit after 4 for year of manufacture-did you add the cleaning rod and magazine capture screw?-these are usually missing on R/C rifles-the stamped front barrel band is a late war feature but as the R/Cs are made up from many salvaged parts it may not be original (my own Mauser Obendorf 1940 made example has a stamped band).
    I didn't add the cleaning rod or magazine capture screw, it's as I received it on Monday of this week.

It has been suggested to me that this is a Czech post war rework (Czech stock, sights).

The rifle was sold to me as a matching bolt and receiver sight unseen, but whereas the bolt is ground and renumbered it would be a real stretch to call it a matching bolt and receiver, would it not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast