Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Russian capture K98 rifle

Article about: Hello everyone, Just received this Russian capture K98 rifle which has a very nice bore and is in pretty nice post referb condition. Its a bitzer of parts as to be expected with the receiver

?

Default Russian capture K98 rifle

Hello everyone,

Just received this Russian capture K98 rifle which has a very nice bore and is in pretty nice post referb condition. Its a bitzer of parts as to be expected with the receiver being a Mauser Oberndorf 1943 example. The stock and rear sight are matching post referb however the bolt is completely unnumbered. Ideally I would have liked an all matching original but they don't seem to come up for sale in Australia and seeing as I want to shoot it, I'm happy with an RC. Plan is to take it to the range one day this week.

I want to pick up an original cleaning rod and sight hood and I'm toying with the idea of replacing the missing capture screws with originals while I'm at it. It came with a repo sling which I may end up replacing with an original one. Can anyone recommend a website were I can get most of them in one place to save on postage? Anyone had any dealings with waffenmeisters.com ?

Any comments welcome.

Alex
    Russian capture K98 rifleRussian capture K98 rifleRussian capture K98 rifleRussian capture K98 rifleRussian capture K98 rifle

Very nice RC K98!! Looks like you have one with intact swastikas too. I personally like Russian captures. Despite being mismatched, its 100% WW2 German. Also the barrel, and receiver do match. So that's a plus. Haven't had any experience with that site. Try liberty tree collectors. Not sure if they have exactly what your looking for, but I can remember they had a good selection of K98 parts. Awesome rifle!!

Best regards- Jarret

A couple of dealers who have K98 parts are stewartsmilitaryantiques.com and ima-usa.com.

I've got one of these, unfortunately not 100% German. Either during the refurb process or years later, the bolt and stock have been replaced with examples from a Yugo rifle, and it has been rebarrelled. That aside, all the other parts are WaffenAmt marked and original.
    They're by no means less valuable historically, at least in my eyes. The refurb process is part of their journey through time to the present.

B.B.

Agree with B.B that these are original WW2 and taken from the Germans, refurbished and then placed into stock, mostly never to be used again much in anger. This one looks quite "clean" by nortmal standards as all the ones I have seen have been vandalised by electro stencilling

?

Thanks for the replies and dealer suggestions.. It does have some electro pen under the rear sight to match the receiver s/n but that is it.

Thanks for sharing Alex. Glad you want to bring it back as close as possible with some original parts. R/Cs here in the U.S. are often bringing much higher cash than even 2-3 years back.

?

Just a quick update. Took the rifle to the range and it was shooting excellent groups however a couple of inches to the right at 50 yards so I’ll have to drift the front sight over. I ended up buying the original cleaning rod, sight hood and locking screws from waffenmeisters.com as they were the only place to have them all-should be here in time for Christmas.