Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS K98 proof

Article about: The SS used army proofed K98s ,here is a pic of my a 1941 k98,these red glue earlier stock are really beautiful,to me at least.Also a pic of an SS soldier on the eastern front with a similar

Default SS K98 proof

The SS used army proofed K98s ,here is a pic of my a 1941 k98,these red glue earlier stocks are really beautiful,to me at least.Also a pic of an SS soldier on the eastern front with a similar K98.These rifles were were not marked for use by the SS, like other branches of the military, like the Army Luft and Navy.Am sure Himmler saw they got what ever was needed.If they had marked k98s for the SS they would bring big bucks today I imagine.ha This one is marked eagle over H for HEER(army).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS K98 proof   SS K98 proof  

SS K98 proof   SS K98 proof  

SS K98 proof  
    Last edited by Toecutter; 10-17-2020 at 04:22 AM. Reason: text

Very nice K98. I am happy to see the lack of SS runes. Too much controversy and untruths if they were ever marked that way. Nice photo as well.
    John

Thanks John,I have seen a few legit K98 stocks marked eagle over M for Kriegsmarine and eagle over L for Luftwaffe.But most of these K98s were made for the Heer , as they were basically infantry rifles.Good thing there are no factory documented SS marked rifles,like you say,the fakers would be all over that .

I have seen a few and many discussed K98's with SS Runes stamped on the receiver, even with totenkopf. Some say real, most say fake. I say I would not add to collection if present.
    John

This book has a few death's head rifles in it. Creditability I have no idea?

Thanks guys!There were some early pre war commercial rifles marked with the skull and ZZ on barrel shank, not sure if they were legit or not,I had one, ordered it from SOG years ago,wish I had kept it to show.It was a Russian Capture so only thing original on it was the barreled receiver.It very well could have been a fake.Dont know about the snipers,thanks for showing the book Rene!This Heer K98 has some great proofs on the stock as it was never sanded.There are 7 on the stock and even 1 on top of the handguard(last pic).Stock is numbered inside barrel channel as is handguard,stock is externally numbered as well.They really marked these earlier rifles ,this is a good example of an all matching as issued K98.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS K98 proof   SS K98 proof  

Last edited by Toecutter; 10-19-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Pat(Pre),could you please post some pics of your CE41 e block stock proofs when you get time?I would like to compair them with this later CE41 s block rifle.

Thanks for showing yours Toecutter. Stampings similar to my dad's bringback which is a 1940 243 Borsigwalde. I sure do like the earlier walnut stocks the way they show the markings over the laminates. I heard BNZ made rifles for the SS but buyers have to be alert for the fakes out there. Real minefield!

Thanks Mauser!Yeah the proofs on the hardwood stocks are usually pretty crisp, unless stock was sanded.The laminated stocks were stronger and didnt take the stamp as well,but less likely to crack.Yeah the single rune(on top of receiver) BNZ k98s were deemed ss rifles by some,but the stocks werent proofed for the ss,so I dont know .Like you say lots of fakes.My friend bought one of these single rune 1943 BNZs on an auction,barrel had a waazza4 stamp ,could be an issued ss rifle, or not!