Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sten Mk II Canada

Article about: Hi guys; I have the opportunity to get this sten. Weapons are not my forte, but most of the comparisons I've done to other MkII's the more differences I see. First is the lack of patina and

Default Sten Mk II Canada

Hi guys; I have the opportunity to get this sten. Weapons are not my forte, but most of the comparisons I've done to other MkII's the more differences I see. First is the lack of patina and wear/tear. To most of you this might be a one looker, just want to know if it's period or a post-war replica. The puzzling thing is it's been cut; barrel welded and trigger assembly, bolt and spring are gone. Magazine is welded also. Why go through the trouble if it isn't legit?? Also curious why the marking is "Mk II" and not "Mk ll". Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sten Mk II Canada   Sten Mk II Canada  

Sten Mk II Canada   Sten Mk II Canada  

Sten Mk II Canada  

I'm not familiar with Canadian deactivation standards, but it appears they are much more thorough than those in the UK. Not so much a Sten as the skeleton of a Sten. She's been well and truly gutted! The lack of wear and patina is down to it being spray painted black. Presumably it was not in the best condition beforehand. I have a deact AKM that has undergone the same process. If you can see pitting in the metal under the paint, then it's been sprayed.

Here's my own Mk2 Sten. Much earlier than yours. The crudeness of their design really shows through, but I've always thought it adds to their 'make-do' charm.

Sten Mk II CanadaSten Mk II CanadaSten Mk II Canada

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    If it is an original example, which it looks like it might be, it's minus a few parts. The handguard is missing, and the trigger group housing is missing its cover. The spring that locks the magazine housing in place is also gone. It appears to have been spray painted at some point, owing to the even finish and lack of wear and tear.

(EDIT: Just noticed you've already listed the missing parts. Apologies).

I'm not familiar with Canadian deactivation standards, but it appears they are much more thorough than those in the UK. Not so much a Sten as the skeleton of a Sten. She's been well and truly gutted!

Regards, B.B.

The welds certainly make it deactivated haha fine and legal to own in Canada without paperwork. It’d be a nice project to find the missing parts for; already done a search for potential sellers of those pieces.

However- another thing I’ve noticed is most shoulder stocks have a serial. This one does not, and the welds are a little different. Thanks for the input BrodieBartfast

I've since edited my previous reply and added some pictures. Apologies. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and tend to mess around with my replies long after I've first posted them!

I think this is an original Sten, just a thoroughly gutted and chopped one. At the very least, this will make an interesting restoration project, as Matt has already pointed out.

Regards, B.B.

I'm not familiar with Canadian deactivation standards, but it appears they are much more thorough than those in the UK. Not so much a Sten as the skeleton of a Sten. She's been well and truly gutted! The lack of wear and patina is down to it being spray painted black. Presumably it was not in the best condition beforehand. I have a deact AKM that has undergone the same process. If you can see pitting in the metal under the paint, then it's been sprayed.

Here's my own Mk2 Sten. Much earlier than yours. The crudeness of their design really shows through, but I've always thought it adds to their 'make-do' charm.

Sten Mk II CanadaSten Mk II CanadaSten Mk II Canada

Regards, B.B.
    Nice one! See that’s the patina I’d expect. Couldn’t be “much earlier” as this possible-fake (haha) is dated 1942.

Another difference to note; the OP Sten receiver part is one piece. On yours I see it’s two parts, although I’ve seen both configurations online. Dutchman is my dad; he wanted to join the fun haha

I've previously been told my Sten is a 'wrap-around', that being a gun where the receiver is made up of a single piece of bent metal. Rather hard to come by, as most of them were recalled and destroyed. A few slipped through the cracks, and went on to give good service. That would include mine, as it's been retrofitted with a Mk5 cocking handle.

Worthy of note, although it may be common for early guns. The stock on mine has no serial number, at least none that I can see. The only markings are a WD broad arrow and a 'J'. No idea what the latter indicates.

B.B.

I've since edited my previous reply and added some pictures. Apologies. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and tend to mess around with my replies long after I've first posted them!

I think this is an original Sten, just a thoroughly gutted and chopped one. At the very least, this will make an interesting restoration project, as Matt has already pointed out.

Regards, B.B.
    Sounds like theirs still hope. Thanks Brodie.

I suspect that the Sten has been welded up as it is because the parts were already missing. They probably wanted to make sure that no-one could insert new parts and get it up and running again. I once had a 1914 dated maxim Mg08 which was missing it's lock. To make it legal for me to own, a piece of steel pipe had to be welded to the barrel extensions to make sure no-one could insert a new lock.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I suspect that the Sten has been welded up as it is because the parts were already missing. They probably wanted to make sure that no-one could insert new parts and get it up and running again. I once had a 1914 dated maxim Mg08 which was missing it's lock. To make it legal for me to own, a piece of steel pipe had to be welded to the barrel extensions to make sure no-one could insert a new lock.
    Hello there! I totally understand the welds are a way to incapacitate a way; but I see differences between this one and others; and my confusion was in relation as to why someone would go through the trouble of 'making legal' a reproduction haha

Is there any other Sten experts who could hop in? Would like some more concrete opinions on the originality of this piece.

Thank you all

Another concern I have is the lack of front sight :S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sten Mk II Canada  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast