Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange Lee Enfield butt

Article about: Evening, I picked this up over the weekend and I’m a little perplexed. It appears to be a Lee Enfield rifle butt with sling swivel and brass butt plate for the oil bottle. On the inside of t

?

Default Strange Lee Enfield butt

Evening, I picked this up over the weekend and I’m a little perplexed. It appears to be a Lee Enfield rifle butt with sling swivel and brass butt plate for the oil bottle. On the inside of the folding trap door is a letter ‘E’.

My confusion is where the butt would attach to the rifle body. It appears to be very steeply sloped. I’ve been told it could be part of a take down Lee Enfield?

My question is this from a Lee Enfield rifle, or another model?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange Lee Enfield butt   Strange Lee Enfield butt  

Strange Lee Enfield butt   Strange Lee Enfield butt  

Strange Lee Enfield butt   Strange Lee Enfield butt  

Strange Lee Enfield butt  

It’s from an Enfield No.4 rifle but has been cut down probably to make something. I’m aftraid it’s only worth the value of the butt plate and sling swivel.

?

A bronze buttplate is from a N°1 Mk III? Is'nt it?

Rather than bronze it’s gun metal, both the Mk3 and No.4 used gun metal but North American made No.4s (Being Long Branch in Canada and Stevens Savage in the USA) ended up using Mazak Butt plates which are fragile in comparison (grey and cheap).

The No4 Butt plate is also different to the Mk3. The latter has a little tang on the trap door where as the No4 doesn’t, it has a slot in the end of the door. The shape of the swivel is also a later No4 style.

?

Ok for the swivel. I did not know for the buttplate: thougt brass for the N°1 and Zamak for the N°4. I checked and you're right.