Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.

Article about: As part of my WWI/WWII pistol collection I collected the Japanese triple crown of Military sidearms which are the Type 26 Revolver, Type 14 and Type 94 semi-auto pistols. Here for your inspe

Default Re: The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.

Quote by rambob View Post
    Everyone, thanks for the kind words. I have fired all three of the pistols a few rounds each, thanks to ammunition made by Midway. They all went "bang" very nice. Thanos, Each of the three pistols have at least one design flaw that could have proved unexpectedly fatal to someone. As you mentioned the Type 94 does have the sear that could be depressed by a very strong finger to fire the gun without pulling the trigger. Fatal to the Allied soldier having the gun passed to him muzzle first. I doubt if this ever happened though since the Japanese officers were not prone to surrendering and they had to have a really strong finger/thumb. The Type 14 has a nasty habit of breaking off the brittle tip of the firing pin, causing the pistol to not fire when needed. Fatal to Japanese Officer. The Type 26 cylinder was not locked when at rest and could spin in the holster putting a fired chamber in line with the hammer, causing the pistol not to go bang when needed. Again fatal to Japanese officer. Overall the pistols look cool and are well made, but I would never trust them as a reliable combat weapon.
    Very interesting info for Types 14 & 26....
    One more question; are all three in their original blueing/park ?
    Regards, Thanos.

?

Default Re: The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.

Thanos, The Type 14 and Type 94 have their original blued finish and about 98% coverage each. The Type 26 has a bit of a sad story regarding its finish. I found this pistol on a table at the OGCA gun show in Cleveland looking pitiful in the white, having been finely sanded over most of the outer surface. I saw that except for the Bubba sanding job the gun was matching, tight and completely correct. I bought it for $75 and immediately sent it out to a very competent gun bluing shop I use, to have the surface scratches carded off and to have it reblued. I think it turned out pretty nice and except for some rounded edges, compliments of bubba, it is hard to tell it has been reblued. I normally avoid non-original guns like the plague, but could not resist this one due to its relative scarcity and the bargain I got. All told, I only have about $130 total in it, but of course I am always looking to upgrade if another all original Type 26 pops up before I die.

Bob

Quote by rambob View Post
    Thanos, The Type 14 and Type 94 have their original blued finish and about 98% coverage each. The Type 26 has a bit of a sad story regarding its finish. I found this pistol on a table at the OGCA gun show in Cleveland looking pitiful in the white, having been finely sanded over most of the outer surface. I saw that except for the Bubba sanding job the gun was matching, tight and completely correct. I bought it for $75 and immediately sent it out to a very competent gun bluing shop I use, to have the surface scratches carded off and to have it reblued. I think it turned out pretty nice and except for some rounded edges, compliments of bubba, it is hard to tell it has been reblued. I normally avoid non-original guns like the plague, but could not resist this one due to its relative scarcity and the bargain I got. All told, I only have about $130 total in it, but of course I am always looking to upgrade if another all original Type 26 pops up before I die.

Bob
    Thanks for the reply Bob...The pistols are indeed in fabulous cond for their age/service.... As for the rev i believe you did a good thing to reblue it and choose not to leave it "in the white"...
    Take care, Thanos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2