MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown stock stamp question (Dutch M1895 Mannlicher)

Article about: Has anyone ever seen the stamp in the attached photo? I have seen 'LW' (Landwacht) stamped into stocks, but not LD. It is also stamped into the top of the receiver on the same rifle, but not

PRE
    ?

Default Unknown stock stamp question (Dutch M1895 Mannlicher)

Has anyone ever seen the stamp in the attached photo? I have seen 'LW' (Landwacht) stamped into stocks, but not LD. It is also stamped into the top of the receiver on the same rifle, but not within a circle.

Does anyone know what 'LD' signifies?
    Thanks,
    Pat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown stock stamp question (Dutch M1895 Mannlicher)  

Helo Pat,

Could you give us a picture of the rifle/carbine? It could be a colonial or european weapon.

It would make searching easier.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Could it be landdienst,something to do with Hitler Jugend?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

PRE
    ?

Emile,
    The rifle in question is the one at the top in the photo of two M.1895's. It is 'duffel-cut,' suggesting it is a WWII bring-back by US troops. This one also has a four-digit number (not the serial number) stamped into the left side of the receiver. I've seen a number of examples of that on both rifles and carbines, and don't know what to make of it. I wonder if it might be a German applied number, as I've seen a similar practice and in a similar size and font on Greek-contract FN Model 1930 Mauser rifles that were incomplete at the time of the German seizure of FN at Liege, and were later completed under German control. Those bear certain specific characteristics and are in a relatively narrow serial number range.

I've also included a photo of markings on the butt plate. Are these unit inventory markings, or something else? Thank you in advance for your time!
    Best,
    Pat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown stock stamp question (Dutch M1895 Mannlicher)   Unknown stock stamp question (Dutch M1895 Mannlicher)  

Unknown stock stamp question (Dutch M1895 Mannlicher)  

Chambered in 8x50r or 8x56r? Reason I ask is you can at least narrow it down to a certain time frame.

PRE
    ?

Neither, they're in the standard 6.5x53R Dutch Mannlicher.
    Pat

Hello Pat,

Unfortunately I have have been unable to defenitely solve this riddle.

In the Netherlands army in the 19th century it was customary to relegate rifle to secondary units such as the "Landstorm" . A voluntary unit that was an auxiliary force. In the mid 1800's rifles for the Landstorm were marked as per provenance. Dutch rifles marked as L N. French rifles L F. English rifles L E. and lastly Unknown rifles L O.

This of course covers the mid 1800's. The Landstorm continued to exist till WW2. To my mind the L stands for Landstorm. The D is a riddle to me. Could be a Province (Drenthe) or a town (Delft). Just a guess.

The Landstorm was disbanded in 1940 by the Germans. Later on in the war a new Landstorm was founded. This time manned by collaborators with the occupiers and formed a part of the SS in Netherlands. There is no link, except the name, between the both.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for an answer.

Cheers,
    Emile

BTW I have no knowledge of the Dutch using unit markings on the M95's. I think they did not do so.

PRE
    ?

Emile,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to research that! I have never been able to find any books on Dutch rifles and carbines from WWI to WWII available in the US, and never in any of the languages that I can read. I was not aware of the Landstorm formed during the war, so that is entirely new and interesting information for me. I guess this stamp will remain a mystery until we can get some proof...

I've read that some collectors believe that the numbers stamped into the butt plate are dates of repair or parts replacement (1903 in the case of this rifle), while the second number is assumed to be an inventory number. I suppose this could make sense, but I have seen no documentation or sources cited that support that belief, much less prove it.

Thank you again, Emile!
    Best,
    Pat

Quote by PRE View Post
    Neither, they're in the standard 6.5x53R Dutch Mannlicher.
    Pat
    An entire new cartridge for me to research.. Never a dull moment in collecting.