Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for review

Article about: I picked up a pretty nice (IMHO), mostly matching US Property marked No 4 made by Savage. Non matching parts I believe are the rear sights and possibly not the correct magazine. I also tried

Default US Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for review

I picked up a pretty nice (IMHO), mostly matching US Property marked No 4 made by Savage. Non matching parts I believe are the rear sights and possibly not the correct magazine. I also tried to figure out a possible date of manufacture without much luck. What is the ZF stamp on the stock stand for? Any help is appreciated. Also, would this the correct magazine for this area and should this have been numbered to the gun?
    John

US Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for reviewUS Savage made No 4 Mk 1* for review

Not sure if it applies to Savage-made rifles, but I have a Long Branch No 4 with a serial number on the magazine. It's mismatched to the gun, but seems to suggest that magazines were indeed numbered to the rifles.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

I have to pull mine out. Never looked over that much...Looking forward to hear what people have to say!

Don't know if it is true but heard that years ago these were the bastard step children of Enfields but now they are in demand....

Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A little harsh MAP... the original bayonet was silly (useless my grandfather use to say) but the rifle stayed in service around the world for as long as the SMLE. Seemed to be popular sniper rifle too and post war many deer fell to No.4's.

A New Zealand sniper at Cassino, Italy. Note the magazine.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A little harsh MAP... the original bayonet was silly (useless my grandfather use to say) but the rifle stayed in service around the world for as long as the SMLE. Seemed to be popular sniper rifle too and post war many deer fell to No.4's.

A New Zealand sniper at Cassino, Italy. Note the magazine.
    Don't get me wrong. I like mine. That is just the "gun show talk" I heard.....that people wanted the British Enfields over the US Lend/Lease from a collectors point of view but now the Savage's are in demand...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I am by no means an expert but to the best of my knowledge only the Canadian No4s had serial numbered magazines from the factory. According to Skennerton's The Lee Enfield - the number 4 mark on the magazine indicates a SMLE magazine case No.4 and the ZF was located on any main component that was beyond local repair, except at factory. Whether its true or not there was a consensus that Savage made no4's were of the least quality of all the manufacturers.

Alex