Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

A very curious mosin

Article about: Hey all, pal of mine recently got this Mosin. It is a finish used 91/30 w/o a date. Stock has a few odd markings, a Deutsches Reich stamp and a Tula 1891 stamp. One real weird thing is the s

Default A very curious mosin

Hey all, pal of mine recently got this Mosin.

It is a finish used 91 w/o a date.
    Stock has a few odd markings, a Deutsches Reich stamp and a Westinghouse 1891 stamp.

One real weird thing is the stampings on the sight? What is this crazy alien language?
    Also has MN sketched into the stock, initials perhaps?

Can someone put all these things together and tell me the story of this rifle?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A very curious mosin   A very curious mosin  

A very curious mosin   A very curious mosin  

A very curious mosin   A very curious mosin  

A very curious mosin  

CSW
    ?

Imperial Germany sold and delivered some 80 000+ captured Mosins to the Finnish Whites before (and possibly during?) the Civil War of 1918, that explains the German property stamp on the stock.

The range settings on the side of the sight (4-6-8-10-12) are in hundreds of Imperial Russian arshins - when refurbishing their rifles, the metric-using Finns naturally wanted to remove these now-useless numbers and what we see here is to my mind just one of the ways they were defaced. It looks absolutely alien and quite funny, I have to admit.

The Tikkakoski barrel marking (T) is of later WW2-era style. There might be a date under the barrel, or not. I have a picture of a 1943-dated Tikkakoski example with the serial number 45758, which is pretty close to yours.

Can't help with the carved "MN" on the stock, obviously not an official factory stamp

I love it. If only that Mosin could talk!

Since a lot of these were built on old imperial receivers, you can most likely find the date of the receiver if you completely remove it (the stamp should be on the underside), and then you can date the rifle (atleast the receiver).

CSW
    ?

Quote by PapaStalin1943 View Post
    Since a lot of these were built on old imperial receivers, you can most likely find the date of the receiver if you completely remove it (the stamp should be on the underside), and then you can date the rifle (atleast the receiver).
    Yeah, this is also true and something I completely forgot to mention - sorry for that. Here's a video that shows exactly where you will find the receiver date should you have trouble locating it: How to Date your Finnish Mosin Nagant Rifle - YouTube

Very interesting rifle, a lot of character and lots of history packed into one piece! Thanks for sharing it. I've got a couple myself, but none as wide-ranging as that.

-Robyn