Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Walther P38 Real grips? Rate its condition

Article about: Hi guys, A buddy of mine has this P38 and he believes that these wooden grips are original military issue. I think they are aftermarket. Did Mauser ever issue wooden grips in 43? Also he's t

Default Walther P38 Real grips? Rate its condition

Hi guys,

A buddy of mine has this P38 and he believes that these wooden grips are original military issue. I think they are aftermarket. Did Mauser ever issue wooden grips in 43? Also he's thinking that the pistol is in 85% condition and I'm thinking probably 55%. He values it at $1200. I'm not trying to buy it so it doesn't matter, but just wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Walther P38 Real grips? Rate its condition   Walther P38 Real grips? Rate its condition  

Walther P38 Real grips? Rate its condition   Walther P38 Real grips? Rate its condition  

The wood grips are not WWII issue but are well past. They have been taken from a modern day P-38 and fitted to this one. I agree with your assessment of the condition. In it's current state and condition, this piece would certainly not come anywhere near $1200. You can easily check values by looking at a site like "Gunbroker", etc. to see what such things are selling for, but, personally, I would not go above $400 to $450 on a good day. And for that, I would want a period holster and extra magazine.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'm not even sure they are wood, the damaged area up near the safety looks like bakelite!..

Thanks that's what I told him but I think he was a little upset. He though it was a "very special gun" because it didn't have the bakelite grips. Bought for $600 8 years ago.. ouch. A vet that sold it to him told him thats how he brought it back. I have heard that pre-43 P38's are the only collector grade P38's. Would you agree with that of no? why so?

Agree with wagriff. $1200 way overboard for one in that shape. Have heard the earlier made P-38s are better finished overall.

As the war production went on, the inability to obtain better materials as well as the tremendous bombing damage to the facilities made the post 1943 products of a lesser quality and reliability. Things like firing pins, for example, became brittle,tending to break,etc. The finish on a gun was no longer a priority-they needed to get them out and to the front lines as soon as possible, so the later pieces had poor appearances. Naturally, the collectors today are always searching for the top quality early pieces, but the later ones Do have their own stories to tell, so they should not be ignored. They are what they are-a picture from the terrible end days of an all encompassing war of destruction.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."