MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Walther P38, Spreewerk

Article about: Hello folks. Another one for the deact collection, and a milestone for my wall display. I now have the service rifle, submachine gun and service pistol of both the Wehrmacht and the Red Army

Default Walther P38, Spreewerk

Hello folks.

Another one for the deact collection, and a milestone for my wall display. I now have the service rifle, submachine gun and service pistol of both the Wehrmacht and the Red Army. Displayed side by side, with the flag of the respective side under each, they complement each other well and fill the wall space nicely.

Been looking for a P38 for a while. They are, in my opinion, very finely crafted pistols, and a very worthy replacement for the P08 Luger.
    Something I didn't realise before I purchased it, that was not evident in the pictures provided, was that it has been reblued at some point. However, it's not something that bothers me all that much. It looks much better for it, and all the WaffenAmts and machining marks characteristic of Spreewerk pistols are there and plain to see. All numbers match, minus the magazine, and the inspection codes appear to be the correct '88'.

I apologise to everyone who owns a working example, as the deactivation work here is extensive and plain to see. The barrel has a steel rod inserted from the chamber end which obstructs it to within a few millimeters of the muzzle. The barrel itself is welded in place, drilled three times, and the takedown lever is pinned closed to 'captivate' the slide and prevent disassembly. The magazine, much like that of my MP40, has a slot cut in it to fit around a rod welded across the top of the well.

None of this work is evident externally, however. The pistol still cocks, clicks and has a functioning decocker. And of course, the history is all there. I'd be interested to know if this piece can be dated, as the Spreewerk factory didn't date stamp their pistols as Walther and Mauser did.

Probably now one of my favourite pieces, minus the refinish. Now I just need to find an original holster for it!

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Walther P38, Spreewerk   Walther P38, Spreewerk  

Walther P38, Spreewerk   Walther P38, Spreewerk  

Walther P38, Spreewerk   Walther P38, Spreewerk  

See this site for design/production details Ozark Bear Arms Blog: The Walther P.38 Pistol Series

Very ice gun. Sorry about being deactivated in the way it was. A holster will not be a tough find.
    Thanks for posting.
    John

?

That is a nice one. I also have a spreewerk P38 and when I saw those hole's, my eye's about popped out of my head then realized where you live BB.
    It still looks awesome

Semper Fi
    Phil

Post 1943 production P38 would be correct in a cheaper 'break away' type holster as the hard shell holster was dropped from manufacture as it was time consuming and expensive to make. Nazi leather costs!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Walther P38, Spreewerk   Walther P38, Spreewerk  

Hello B.B.

A very nice P38 you have, yours was made early in July 1944.

Jonathan.

Thank you all for the kind words. It is a shame that such things have to be deactivated, especially considering they aren't making any more of them. But it's better to be able to own them this way, than not being able to own them at all.
    The three holes in the barrel seem odd to me. As an old UK spec deact, it would have had a slot cut out of the side of the barrel, similar to how our rifles are done. This new method actually destroys less of the barrel.
    That's the EU spec for you, though. As nonsensical as just about everything else they come out with.

B.B.

Here is a link for a holster. I have bought a couple of items from him without issue. I would make a offer a bit less $150 since he is reasonable.
    WTS original holsters Walther P38 cxb4 calfskin

John

Glad you scored one for your collection. Am sure even deacts going for a respectable sum in England. Price of these and P-08s over here in the U.S. have really skyrocketed in the past 15 or 20 years. Still big collector interest in German small arms out my way.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Glad you scored one for your collection. Am sure even deacts going for a respectable sum in England. Price of these and P-08s over here in the U.S. have really skyrocketed in the past 15 or 20 years. Still big collector interest in German small arms out my way.
    It set me back £595 before postage costs. Not sure what the prices are like for live firing examples, but it seems that deacts are usually more expensive than working examples, due to the additional cost of the work done to them.
    A WW2-era Luger would set me back about £900 to a £1000-plus. If I don't change my mind before then, I plan to go shopping for one at the War & Peace Show next year.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast