Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Would you buy this old Winchester 1897 ?

Article about: Hello everyone, I offer you the great dilemma: if you were in my place, would you buy this old boy? I specify that I am writing to you from Italy, the grandfather of the current owner bought

?

Default Would you buy this old Winchester 1897 ?

Hello everyone, I offer you the great dilemma: if you were in my place, would you buy this old boy?

I specify that I am writing to you from Italy, the grandfather of the current owner bought it in America in the early 1900s when he worked there, and then brought it to Italy when he returned in 1912. Serial Number D 342XXX dated to made in 1906.

It has certainly seen better days, the fore-end is broken and was repaired in the old days, it is missing too the magazine pin that help to take down the gun...

Do you think it might be worth buying it and firing a few shots at it every now and then? Or is it better to wait to find a specimen in better condition?

Could still be worth picking up, but for what price?

?

Depends on the price, of course, but it has a great ‘history/story’.
    I’d have it..
    You may be able to find the missing magazine pin, but I would do nothing else to it. So what if it’s a little battered.. it has a good reason to be! It’s all part of its history.

?

they are great to slam fire.

?

Thanks for your opinions! Here in Italy they are not as common as in the States, most people had double barrel shotguns, and during the fascist period and under the German occupation during WW2 most of the weapons were requisitioned and never returned to the civilian population. This was probably hidden around that time, as the new documentation dates back to July 1945, the war being over for about a month...

Anyway these are just ''stories'', I would like to take it home but I have been asked to make an offer...In your opinion, how much could it be worth? I know the value changes a lot from one country to another, but how much would you be willing to pay for this shotgun?

My brother has an old Winchester 1897 and he still shoots it. It's one of those old Browning designs that never seem to wear out. I don't know how much they sell for now, but based on your photos, I would guess that it would still be good for at least another lifetime of shooting.

My cousin also has a Winchester 1897, his is a 16 gauge. Our grandfather bought it new about 1910, and it still shoots fine.
    Last edited by Richard2; 09-11-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add information

I saw two in probably a little better condition sell at recent local auctions. Both went for $400ish, but that was here in Colorado. No idea how that would relate to value in Italy though.

Most of these firearms I see are in rough shape and most all bluing gone. Yours actually looks very nice! Parts can be found or made. That’s a beautiful shotgun that most would love to own... especially in that condition.

I agree with the last post from Colorado... the one in pawn shop I went to recently was asking $300. Horrible condition, otherwise I would’ve bought it.

Best of luck to you...

Sure was a rugged built gun! I see it's in 12 gauge. 2 3/4 inch shells I believe. Made around 1,024,700 from 1897-1957 according to my book. Looks pretty decent to me too. I would try to locate the pin it needs. Not sure what to tell you to offer over there.