Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 French Rifle ?

Article about: Hello what are your thoughts on this Gun? I was thinking French? Thank you Tony

?

Default WW1 French Rifle ?

Hello
    what are your thoughts on this Gun?
    I was thinking French?
    Thank you
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 French Rifle ?   WW1 French Rifle ?  

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 French Rifle ?   WW1 French Rifle ?  

WW1 French Rifle ?  

I cannot identify it, but the button on the right sideo of the reciever above the trigger looks like it might be a safety catch, which would not be found on a French military rifle. Approximately what caliber is it?

With that action, it reminds me of a bolt action shotgun. The ring in front of the action is similar to a Mossberg style that was used as a "rear sight" but was flat on top and was supposed to help you line up the bead. Having an ejection port on the side and no open top for feeding from a stripper clip doesn't is another mark against it, for me, being a military firearm.

If it has a larger bore IMO it looks like a .410 shotgun.

Definitely doesn’t look military to me.

Paul beat me to it by a few seconds!!

It looks like a US Mossberg bolt action shotgun. Uses a clip inserted from the bottom, they came in all shotgun calibers. . BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

A carabine Buffalo Lebel in 6mm Flobert?