Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian M58 helmet

Article about: Hi guys here I have a M58 Austrian army helmet fitted with a M58 thermoplastic helmet liner. The steel helmet is marked U.SCH.59 in white which stands for the manufacturer Heinrich Ulbrichts

Default Austrian M58 helmet

Hi guys here I have a M58 Austrian army helmet fitted with a M58 thermoplastic helmet liner.
    The steel helmet is marked U.SCH.59 in white which stands for the manufacturer Heinrich Ulbrichts Witwe 1959. This helmet would have originally been fitted with sewn on chin straps similar to the US M1. This one has replacement chinstraps fitted which are attached by brass rivets which were the type used in the late 60's.
    The liner is the M58 model but of the second type made out of thermoplastic which replaced the high pressure liners which were similar to the US versions. This liner has the grommet on the left side of the liner and has the bluish feldgrau imitation leather head band fitted. I have looked all over and can not find any makers marks but from what have I read these were produced in the 1960's.
    Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian M58 helmet   Austrian M58 helmet  

Austrian M58 helmet   Austrian M58 helmet  

Austrian M58 helmet   Austrian M58 helmet  

Another nice Austrian lid Ian!!! And all correct with the descriptions too!!! Well done!! The helmet net is the later M75 type..with the elastic chord...the earlier M58 net is a brighter green colour..and has a woven edge..and no elastic....and originally also had a retaining band with metal clips...I can attest to how hard these original bands are to source!!!..but as you probably know already..the Austrians used whatever combination of shells..liners..nets during this M1 clones long service!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian M58 helmet   Austrian M58 helmet  

Austrian M58 helmet  
    Last edited by austromunga; 05-06-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Great example Ian and i love the shell patina

nice example , I wonder if any these were used in any conflicts? maybe some were supplied to the Middle East or other , maybe the IRAN IRAQ WAR? I remember seeing some old battle news footage and the liners on some looked like the M75 leather liner carried by an Iranian soldier.

Thanks battle gear will look into that, as from what I remember they definitely used an M1 style helmet