Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet

Article about: Hi guys here I have an M75 Austrian army helmet fitted with motorcycle helmet liner. The helmet is marked U-SCH 75/ in yellow which stands for the manufacturer Heinrich Ulbrichts Witwe 1975.

Default Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet

Hi guys here I have an M75 Austrian army helmet fitted with motorcycle helmet liner. The helmet is marked U-SCH 75/ in yellow which stands for the manufacturer Heinrich Ulbrichts Witwe 1975. This particular model has liner retention clips next to the chinstrap bales and from what I have read were only fitted on helmets produced in the 1970's.
    This motorcycle liner is the same as the army version with these added extras:-
    A green OD leather bib which protects the neck and ears and foam padding in the inside dome with two ventilation rivets in the rear. The leather bib has a clamshell buckle with claws. The liner is marked in blue ink 56-58 which I assume is the size and also marked on the underside with RM 82 which I assume is a makers mark but couldn't find out who that maker was.
    Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet   Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet  

Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet   Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet  

That's a nice M75 Austrian despatch riders helmet there Ian!!! I have a pair of these..... the maker RM stands for Romann of Murek, a manufacturer that also had a limited contract for combat helmets and liners in just the year 1968!!
    I have a liner in combat spec that has RM 82 markings!! I have to wonder though..... if this wasn't originally intended for use with the dispatch riders liner fitment.. and that both your example.. and my pair have the same markings under the shaped foam insert (I haven't been brave enough to attempt to disassemble one to see!!!)
    and the shell with the federclamen clips is nice too!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet   Austrian M75 motorcycle helmet  

Thanks austromunga for the makers name I'm afraid to try and disassemble this liner just to see what's under the assembly as well

The problem is with the two rear vents..these have been fitted through the shaped foam insert.... and then heated and squashed to affix them permanently!! The only way to remove them...would be to destroy them!! And replacements are made from pure unobtainium!!!! But I think it's a pretty certain bet that our examples being un- issued ..that the leather liners are 100% original to the outer..and therefore the same maker too..my combat spec liner is also marked RM 82!!..and I forgot that..it also has the four holes at the front made for the guard parade
    badge..simply the Austrian army beret eagle !!....so I fitted a spare badge I had knocking around!!.. I also now think this was specially made for parade purpose..due to the plastic being the old M58 dark grey!!..the guard still wear dark grey uniforms..and brown or white webbing...and some helmet liners were made in the then dubbed parade grey to match!!!(see pic of chinstrap rivet head .. clearly visable under the grey...its a repainted M75 green one!!)

Nice set Ian do i see a goggle retaining strap at the rear of the liner just shy of the shell profile

Quote by James C View Post
    Nice set Ian do i see a goggle retaining strap at the rear of the liner just shy of the shell profile
    Yes mate there is and now hunting for a pair

Thanks Ian what should the goggles look like as i can keep an eye out for you

Here is a period net and NATO issue goggles that I've added to give it a more complete look

Excellent