Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Belgian M51

Article about: Hi all picked up this one, for my Austrian manufactured, for foreign country's collection!!! Ok so the liner is obviously Austrian made...with both the Made in Austria and the logo for Ulbri

Default Belgian M51

Hi all picked up this one, for my Austrian manufactured, for foreign country's collection!!!

Ok so the liner is obviously Austrian made...with both the "Made in Austria" and the logo for Ulbricht's.... and also ABL for "Armee Belge/Belgische Leger" Belgian Army!!
    it's dated 1985 and still retains the already deleted in Austrian liners, front vent... it also has, the unique to the Belgian M51, webbing matrix removable "rivets"..... apart from on this example, several missing ones have been replaced with hardware store, chrome non-removable ones, with a piece of leather replacing the missing "A" washers!!!....(see pics)
    sadly missing the headband and liner chinstrap...the photos by the seller didn't show a full liner pic...and I didn't even think to ask I have another M51 liner with damaged webbing and the other parts intact..so I may make a good one from the two!!!
    This one also has four odd drilled holes leading up one side and just over the crown on the other side!!!

Now onto the shell!!...

It has no sign of Belgian Tri-colours!!?? in fact no makers marks at all!! apart from an ink stamped -17- ??? batch number??? the chinstrap is the last American M1 type with the metal adjuster clips.... and popper release chin cup webbing... the paint on the outside is heavily sand textured!!...
    It has sticker marks...one in the liner crown and two...one at the front and another at the back of the shell!!! sadly long gone..as they may have offered more clues (wearers names!!???) to its origin!!??

opinions please guys!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Belgian M51   Belgian M51  

Belgian M51   Belgian M51  

Nice find Paul ,i came across one of these too i believe and think maybe i asked via Pm some advice but can't remember for sure ,nice shell with the Us m1 final issue chinstrap upgrade ,my example still retained the break free catch assembly but coupled with the belgy abl liner

Hi James!!

Yes I remember the PM James... that's what set me on to this example... But.... the shell on mine certainly isn't Austrian!! the swivel bales are completely different to Austrian made ones!!! there's a HUGE gap between the centre tab in the fold between the two outer tabs!!! the paint colour also looks to have more of a Danish hue...or even late U.S. !!!!!!! but no heat stamp!!??? however the -17- ink stamp..... looks similar to the number markings on some U.S. Vietnam era liners I have!!???