Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damage

Article about: Hello gentlemen, I would like to share with you this helmet of the Paulista model of the Brazilian civil war of 1932. During that war, steel helmets were used for the first time in Brazil. W

?

Default A Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damage

Hello gentlemen,

I would like to share with you this helmet of the "Paulista" model of the Brazilian civil war of 1932.

During that war, steel helmets were used for the first time in Brazil. When the war between the state of São Paulo and the federal government of Brazil, São Paulo began to prepare for the conflict. With that, São Paulo started making steel helmets based on 2 helmets from the first war that a Brazilian collector had brought to Brazil.
    Three different models were manufactured at the same time: one based on MKI and two based on Adrian. One of the two models based on Adrian had its design changed by São Paulo. That is why it was called the "paulista" model. You can see little difference at the top of the helmet.

The war only lasted approximately 3 months. São Paulo lost militarily, but won some political victories.

I got this helmet from a distant relative of a veteran who served with the forces of São Paulo. It had been stored since the war when the family decided to see it with other old items. I just bought the helmet.

It has two significant damages: One on the outside front, and another that looks like it came from the "inside out" direction.

I hope you enjoyed. And I would like to hear your opinions about this helmet and its strange marks.

Thanks!

A Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damageA Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damageA Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damageA Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damageA Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damageA Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damageA Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damageA Brazilian civil war helmet (1932 uprising) with damage

MAP
    ?

A first for me. Very nice. Congrats. Would assume these are quite hard to come by.

Damage certainly looks like a bullet entry that went through the helmet. Probably not worn when hit as this would have been an horrific and lethal wound.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello Map,

Thanks for the comment!

Here in Brazil, these helmets are not so hard to find. But finding a complete one is more and more difficult. Usually only the shells appear.

The damage that looks like a bullet did not get through the shell. It just kneaded and ripped the steel.
    In the fourth photo, you can see the inside of the side where this damage was done. The liner has only suffered a minor malfunction.

the last 3 photos show another damage. That seems to have come from the "inside out" direction.

The two were probably made at a time when the helmet was not being worn. I agree with you

thanks!

Great pick up, thank you for sharing! This is the first time I've seen this helmet before, besides the damage you noted the rest of it looks like it was well stored. Definitely one of the more interesting variants of the Adrian with that ball at the top too! Wish I could help with the markings it looks like it might be named unless that mark on the leather just denotes the company that made the liner or helmet.

?

Hello Politefaun,

Thanks also for your comments!

The name on the inside of the helmet is just a brand of manufacturer: "Paulista" (meaning the one who lives in São Paulo).
    It was common for helmets to have no manufacturer marks. But there were some variations of the brand, such as: "paulista" and "offer from the paulista people to the consticionalist soldier", since many helmets were produced voluntarily by some factories or thanks to donations from the population.

There were no marks on the steel. With the exception of a factory that put the name "FIEL" in high relief inside the helmets