Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

bundeswehr helmet net?

Article about: Hi everyone, just wondering if this is a bundeswehr helmet net and how old it is if possible? Have popped it onto one of my american M1's to give it shape etc... Thanks guys Vicky

Default bundeswehr helmet net?

Hi everyone, just wondering if this is a bundeswehr helmet net and how old it is if possible?

Have popped it onto one of my american M1's to give it shape etc...

Thanks guys

Vicky
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bundeswehr helmet net?   bundeswehr helmet net?  

bundeswehr helmet net?  

Default Re: bundeswehr helmet net?

Looks very like, and possibly is, the type of net used on the South African version of the French mle51. Can't find a pic anywhere at the moment, but believe me it does look like that! That open loop at the top, with the heavy cord, is very distinctive.

Thank you for the info, im doing some searches for references now. Are these relatively common helmet nets? Just came across it in a box of my stuff and thought id do a bit more research into it

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Thank you for the info, im doing some searches for references now. Are these relatively common helmet nets? Just came across it in a box of my stuff and thought id do a bit more research into it
    Hi Edilweiss, I must admit that I have not seen one of these before,but it certainly has a very heavy construction to it! It has to have a bit of age as modern nets tend to be quite "thin" in their make up! That said I have no idea as to it's origin, sorry. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Edilweiss, I must admit that I have not seen one of these before,but it certainly has a very heavy construction to it! It has to have a bit of age as modern nets tend to be quite "thin" in their make up! That said I have no idea as to it's origin, sorry. Leon.
    Thats what threw me, i havent seen a net this heavily constructed before either.

Vicky....not Bundeswehr.....the BW net that used this type of heavy construction did not have hooks, it was for the M1956 "zweiteilige" (M1 clone two piece helmet) and was therefore designed like the U.S. version to be held in the helmet by the inner helmet liner, it also featured a long frontal veil which was thrown back over the helmet when not in use....I can not show one, as I do not have one ! they are rare and expensive ! Here is a later 1960's BW helmet net, with hooks and not so heavy in construction.......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bundeswehr helmet net?   bundeswehr helmet net?  

Im just going to throw it out there....Probably right off track. WW2 german helmet? I have seen some similar and the construction looks similar. Please dont laugh at me too much....

I noticed one in this thread had a net the same: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/resto...n-helmets-663/

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Im just going to throw it out there....Probably right off track. WW2 german helmet? I have seen some similar and the construction looks similar. Please dont laugh at me too much....
    No laughing here,yours looks better quality than the one you have just posted,i still have no idea as to origin, but a WW2 net would have contempories to compare with! I cannot put my finger on why,but it just seems to me like this net is "African/Arab? A very heavy weave for a heavy use.Israel etc?? Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    No laughing here,yours looks better quality than the one you have just posted,i still have no idea as to origin, but a WW2 net would have contempories to compare with! I cannot put my finger on why,but it just seems to me like this net is "African/Arab? A very heavy weave for a heavy use.Israel etc?? Leon.
    I can see where you are coming from with the african/arab approach

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast