Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Combat Helmet of South Africa

Article about: I have searched the Steel Helmet forum looking to tag onto an existing thread on the subject with no luck so decided to start a thread off This type is known as the Staaldak Helmet and was u

Default Combat Helmet of South Africa

I have searched the Steel Helmet forum looking to tag onto an existing thread on the subject with no luck so decided to start a thread off
    This type is known as the "Staaldak" Helmet and was used by the South African Defence Force and Police during the Border War and also used by SADF's Neighbour in the region by Rhodesian forces during there Bush War too amongst other types of helmets used and have heard it designated the Model 1963 but not 100% certain on that ? this example is dated on the inner steel shell in 1963 and is a paired complete set as it shows the owner of this helmet as H pots on the liner and chinstrap ,My Research shows this type is Based around the French MLE 51 otan but locally produced in SA under licence by C J Fuchs Ltd, The chinstrap bail short sections look identical to the type found on the French Troops Airborne Helmet in my opinion ,The last picture shows my M87 composite helmet which is the South African version for export to the middle east
    If any members here have a similar example in there collection please post up here if you could to add to the thread Combat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South Africa
    Regards James

Here's two of mine I lugged in the hand baggage years back, - note the different chin strap hooks.

Excellent pairing Rene' thanks for posting up mate
    Regards James

Thanks James, not a problem Mate, yours looks fantastic!
    I just missed out on a M87 awhile back - spewing!!!

hog
    ?

Known as the 'Staal Dak'....The steel roof !!

?

Great burlap camo cover, it blends right into your fence.

Managed to find another Staal Dak with the Variation chinstrap Buckle as shown by Rene' although the hook is pretty much the same this example is in the olive drab and i notice on Rene's example there are metal terminations to the strap ends where as mine have been sealed with a glue type substance and in a similar fashion to the French TAP 56 Airborne chinstrap sections so this could be yet again another variation chinstrap.
    The exterior Shell has unusual Red paint Markings and the inner is signed to Riso which has got me thinking if this could be a Portuguese name and i am sure i recall Portugal having had there own variation of the Otan at some point but i could be mistaken ,the shell is also devoid of any maker stamp which makes a positive ID even more frustratingCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South Africa
    Regards James

Nice one James, just letting you know that a lot of Portuguese immigrated to South Africa.
    "Nando's" came from a Portuguese immigrant to SA.

One of my shells has the red primer paint as well.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 12-22-2019 at 12:39 AM. Reason: added text

Much Appreciated Rene' for your comments I've still a lot to learn on this helmet type so always open to help and advice and interesting to learn your example too has a red colouration but would say mine is not showing hints of exposed primer finish but a paint scheme of some sort over the finished exterior shell paint ,maybe in better light conditions i can make more of the detailing and as it happens I also have a Portuguese Surname so this kind of information about migration is always of interest to me
    Regards James

Rene' It's a big ask but i have tried to illustrate the red Markings in better detail ,would you know if the Symbols give clues to the Writing system and the exact country in SA where these symbols are used and how it might translate if possibleCombat Helmet of South AfricaCombat Helmet of South Africa
    Regards James

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast