Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Article about: Hello, I'm new here and I want to share everything I know about one of my most my favorite helmets the Czech VZ30. The Czech VZ30 is an interesting mix of the two main helmets of the time, t

Default Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Hello,

I'm new here and I want to share everything I know about one of my most my favorite helmets the Czech VZ30. The Czech VZ30 is an interesting mix of the two main helmets of the time, the Czechoslovakian VZ20 and VZ28. They where never used by the Czechoslovak Army and just rejected and send to the Spanish republicans during the Spanish civil war and I heard that some made the way to Ethiopia. Since the VZ32 was a well better design and in any way better as the VZ30.

The factory configuration (as example the one infront of the middle in the attached picture) with the usually Czech brown paint, the same split pins as on a VZ28 and VZ32 with washers, a six pad liner, a lot that I saw had a steel liner band (mine don't has one) and they would come with a leader Berndorfer style chin strap or VZ32 chin strap, the same chin straps were also used on the Bulgarian M36 helmets. During the Spanish civil war these helmets would get a lot of field repairs, new paintjobs and all kind of different liners. These Helmets were also captured by nationalists and would get modifications to ad Franco badges and saw also use after the war by Francoist Spain.

These Helmets were intended to wear them with the lugs to the front but they would also be used the other way around what can be seen on period pictures and the placement of replacement liners and badges.

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet
    Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Please correct me if you have any more information about it I would love to hear it ;)

They were also supplied to the Dutch and used by airraid defense services and during the liberation by the Dutch interior forces (NBS). The examples that I found had their original paintjob and liner. I have one that has MP (military police) markings on the front. Most probably NBS used.

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Thanks a lot for this information, this is the kinda stuff I was looking for.
    Can I see a picture of your helmet with mp markings, I would love to see it.

Great bunch of vz. 30's! I have a soft spot for helmets with a quirky design and like this model a lot. It took my years to find one in decent shape and at a reasonable price. I had it shipped to a friend in Spain and still have to fly over there to pick it up. The one you have with the original factory configuration is a very hard one to come by, congrats!

Nick

Helmets like this are very exciting for me, when I saw one somewhere on the internet I know that I have to find one, now I have a few and I'm glad that you like them. The one I have in factory configuration I have unfortunately misses or never had the steel liner band but I'm sure that I will find one sometime in the future.

Best regards
    Nozo

?

Yes it's a great helmet with an awkward design that resulted in it being worn backwards at times by the Spanish troops on both sides. You have a nice collection, thanks for posting. Here are some images from the civil war and a photo of my helmet formerly in my collection

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet
    Regards, Al

?

one more of troops in formation

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet
    Regards, Al

Thank you, I'm glad that you like them, there are a lot very niech helmets that don't get much attention. Very nice helmet, yours looks like that it still has Czech factory paint and berndorfer style chin strap, this chin strap was also used for Bulgarian m36a/b helmets that were also made in Czechoslovakia.

Best regards
    Nozo

?

Hi folks, might as well also show my VZ30. It was refurbished with the usual Spanish components.
    Wasn't worn a lot afterwards then stored away & forgotten, missed the insignia bracket being added on. Enjoy!

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

The headband & cradle leather is still very nice, slightly worn & charming.
    Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

We can also enjoy the simplicity of the construction.
    Czech VZ30 / M30 Helmet

Regards
    Jack

The most I usually see have a really dark liner but yours didn't got much use, just a beautiful condition.
    I see that yours has A's carved in the liner, I have one that has one carved in the paint and one that has one carved in the liner, I wonder what it means.
    Thanks for showing.

Best regards
    Nozo