Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...

Article about: Hi All, As I'm a collector of Hungarian Cold War helmets (M35/47, M50 and M70), and recently NVA M56 early type - I have this loose plan to collect some of the neighboring countries' helmets

?

Default Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...

Hi All,

As I'm a collector of Hungarian "Cold War" helmets (M35/47, M50 and M70), and recently NVA M56 early type - I have this loose plan to collect some of the neighboring countries' helmets as well - focusing on early 1950s - 1960s models.

I was lucky enough to find a Polish Wz50 and a Czech Vz53 (rare in Hungary) - both seems early type - nice condition - 15 EU each. Posting now the seller's pics - of course when they arrive, I'll update with markings, etc.

(On the Czech Vz53 - there seems to be a 52" date - but the photo is too small to tell...)

Cold War helmets so far:

- 7 Hungarian M50
    - 2 Hungarian M70
    - 1 Hungarian M35/47
    - 5 NVA M56 (early type)
    - 1 French 1952
    - 1 BW M60
    - 1 Polish Wz50
    - 1 Czech Vz53

Cheers,
    Fabe

Czech Vz53:
    Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...

Polish Wz50:
    Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...

Cool lids!...

I also collect cold war helmets, they're interesting and dont cost a lot of money and they have a lot of combat history since these were widely exported to the middle east and other third world countries , these were used a lot in the Arab -Israeli Wars and other conflicts like the Vietnam War.

I have several of the Cold War helmets in my collection, I dont have the Romanian M73 helmet yet

This all fits in with my main areas of interest, European helmets post-WW2. I am genuinely surprised that the Czech vz53 is rare in Hungary - you're just over the border, after all, counting Czecho-Slovakia as a single state as it once was - as that helmet is very common in the UK and apparently everywhere else, quite frequently passed off as 'Russian' or something like that. I bet there would be a couple of dozen on Ebay UK at this very moment, and if you walked into a army surprlus shop.... Still, an interesting and significant helmet; remember there are three major variants of it.

I am interested in your mention of the Hungarian M35/47. What does this mean exactly? Is it a refurbishment/relining of the M35, or what? I would certainly like it if you could give us some information on that. I've never really been able to understand the Hungarian M35 story, possibly because I have never actually had one in hand.

JBR
    ?

I once had an example of the M38/47 - Cascoscoleccion refers: http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/hungria/hung38.htm

?

Well, this is the first time in my 3 years of collecting, that I saw these kinds (Polish, Czech) over at the Hungarian "ebay" (called "Vatera") - so I jumped on them...

M35/47:
    Here is my helmet - basically, the Hungarian M35 - which were originally painted lighter-yellowish green - were repainted darker green, with more durable artfc. leather liner and the leather chin-straps were bolted with steel rivets to the D-ring on the sides - instead of stiching.

Also, there was quite a few German helmets left in Hungary after the war - those were also refurbished like this.

These were used until 1950 - then came the Soviet style M50 helmet...

Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...Czech Vz53 & Polish Wz50 pick-up...

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    This all fits in with my main areas of interest, European helmets post-WW2. I am genuinely surprised that the Czech vz53 is rare in Hungary - you're just over the border, after all, counting Czecho-Slovakia as a single state as it once was - as that helmet is very common in the UK and apparently everywhere else, quite frequently passed off as 'Russian' or something like that. I bet there would be a couple of dozen on Ebay UK at this very moment, and if you walked into a army surprlus shop.... Still, an interesting and significant helmet; remember there are three major variants of it.

I am interested in your mention of the Hungarian M35/47. What does this mean exactly? Is it a refurbishment/relining of the M35, or what? I would certainly like it if you could give us some information on that. I've never really been able to understand the Hungarian M35 story, possibly because I have never actually had one in hand.