Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch M16A helmet

Article about: A strange kind of M16, WW2 and/or postwar refurbished with outside khaky green paint and “nieuw model” liner.

Default Dutch M16A helmet

A strange kind of M16, WW2 and/or postwar refurbished with outside khaky green paint and “nieuw model” liner.

Dutch M16A helmet
    Dutch M16A helmet

I see no ventilation holes in the shell. That would make it a rather scarce M16B.

Indeed it seems to be refurbished. I can't make out much detail in your photographs.

Cheers,
    Emile

It has the holes. Soon i will post better pictures.

See you later
    Bruno

Here we are:
    Dutch M16A helmet
    Dutch M16A helmet
    Dutch M16A helmet
    Dutch M16A helmet

Yes a M16A

And about the liner? Is the inner green the original colour?

This helmet looks pre war to me. The rivets are not replaced as far as I can see. The paint job looks the part, as well.

The M16's in stock, were issued again during the mobilisation in 1939, due to a lack of modern helmets of the M27 series. Possibly this helmet received a new liner, originally meant for the M27's.

I would conclude that this M16A was refurbished before WWII. Nice original helmet!

Cheers,
    Emile

I never seen another M16 with this configuration. Have you noticed the khaky/Green external paint? In your opinion, that too was done for the prewar refurbishing?

Hello Bruno,

Have look at this excellent site below. It shows several different M16's with different paint variations. The fact that the rivets are aged similar to the paint, makes me conclude that this helmet has been refurbished pre-war. Possibly for the Civil Guard (Burgerwacht). The fact that a M27 liner has been installed is not uncommon. I have seen more examples of it.

M16 | Dutchhelmets.nl

Cheers,
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 02-15-2021 at 01:17 PM.