Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early Yugoslavian Helmet

Article about: Just to share a Yugoslav M59 from my collection and to show differances in shell profile with the later m59/85 which had a more pronounced upturned rim and went from a US Riddel style liner

Default Early Yugoslavian Helmet

Just to share a Yugoslav M59 from my collection and to show differances in shell profile with the later m59/85 which had a more pronounced upturned rim and went from a US Riddel style liner to to a thicker webbing and shell termination which made for easier replacement also the early chinstrap had only one slider with two sliders on the upgrade ,in my opinion the earlier shell is far more pleasing to the eye Early Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian Helmet

Cheers James for the comparison. Here's mine that came in today and I just found out it's a M59
    My next problem, is to find a place for it in my QMD as with the Mk6!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-02-2018 at 05:17 AM. Reason: added pic

Thanks for your support on my threads Rene' and for posting up your example and your cheeky boy too ..We have a matching pair of M59's
    just out of curiosity can i see the dome number stamp in greater detail or just reel off the number even just so i can check it against mine if you could good buddy

Not a problem Mate

Many Thanks Rene' ,I will drag the lid out into the daylight and take a pic and post up my stamp for comparison as soon as i can

Quote by James C View Post
    Many Thanks Rene' ,I will drag the lid out into the daylight and take a pic and post up my stamp for comparison as soon as i can
    As we say in tv land "Check"

A good old Mate from Yugoslavia (BCN days) added some info on my helmet and others

- Very nice Yugoslav helmet. On the pictures you sent me through the star is a sticker (mark of the army of Yugoslavia) since 1994, land forces.
    On the link you sent me is the wrong name "Ne 44". (Neretva 44) . Neretva is name of the river in the former SFRJ.
    The correct name of helmet is M.59, and it was first publicly transmitted to the public at the military parade in 1960.
    Your piece has not been rework because there is an original tag inside "TBxxxx". There is no mark on reworked helmets with a new color.
    Until the introduction of the M.59 helmet the JNA used various helmets with certain modifications (Italian, old Yugoslavian M.34 and most Germanic of all models).
    A year or 1946/47 on the German helmets is a distinctive part (resembling a German parachute) and that is Slam Ne 44. .
    In any case, you took a good piece .

anyway I bought another one from NZ, We'll see what I get? They not around down here I guess NZ disposals bought a container lot?
    https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-03-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added link

Hi gents,

Here's another for comparison with a different liner webbing arrangement.

This one came back from the Bosnian "escapade" aka Op Grapple and was destined to sit behind the mess bar but somehow never made it

It had the remains of a Serb Army decal over the red star but these decals were of such poor quality (no more than plastic stickers really) that they tended to become brittle and fall off.

You can see that before the decal was applied there was a rather halfhearted attempt to remove the red star by scratching with an implement.

The helmet itself has no markings anywhere that I can see.

I think it can be seen in the pics and worthy of note for authentication purposes perhaps is that the chinstrap bales are each attached by six small spot welds visible on the outside of the shell.

Early Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian HelmetEarly Yugoslavian Helmet

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-06-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very nice bring back Mark, Thanks for showing - I think this one is the M59/85 model later liner suspension. As you'd already know! hey.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-08-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast