Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

East German helmet with rain camo cover

Article about: Hey guys, I have a few M56 helmets but I have been on the look out for the last variation. I can't really read the stamp - 4 - ?3 is it 83 or 63? There's an E on the inside = 1980. The best

?

Default East German helmet with rain camo cover

Hey guys,

I have a few M56 helmets but I have been on the look out for the last variation.
    I can't really read the stamp - 4 - ?3 is it 83 or 63?
    There's an E on the inside = 1980.
    The best part was it came with the camo cover.
    I know these aren't rare, but it's nice to complete the set.

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German helmet with rain camo cover   East German helmet with rain camo cover  

East German helmet with rain camo cover   East German helmet with rain camo cover  

East German helmet with rain camo cover   East German helmet with rain camo cover  

Nice one, I'd say it's 63

?

Thanks mate.
    Could the liner be a 80's refit on a 60's shell?

Cheers,

Danger

Yep, I have one somewhere too

Found a few pics of mine. '59

one more thing about your cover, if it has brown buttons it's 70's, blue are 80's. Can't find pics of one my 70's one's but here's one of my 80's.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-18-2020 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added pic & text

?

Brown Buttons. 70's cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German helmet with rain camo cover  

I didn’t know that...I can almost hear everyone scrambling to check their button colour!

Presumably covers and helmets were mixed up......or are we gonna uncover a rule which invalidates a whole load of covered helmets on shelves around the world?

“BUTTONGATE!”......you read it here first!

Nice helmet though....well done

Quote by Danger View Post
    Thanks mate.
    Could the liner be a 80's refit on a 60's shell?
    Thats exactly what it is.

When the new plastic cradle liner was introduced in the mid '60s remaining stocks of shells prepared for the first type liner which was rivetted through the shell were used by attaching the new fixing posts to the inside. This why the redundant rivets are visible on the outside but are not doing anything on the inside. This was far easier than filling the holes that had already been made because the heat involved in welding up the holes can affect the temper of the metal compromising the ballistic properties.

Later, the shells were made without boring the rivet holes but just attaching the posts to the inside.

The configuration you have here is therefore a "transitional" version sometimes referred to as such by collectors or otherwise M56/66.

I don't think the NVA had a particular nomenclature for this. It probably was not deemed important as it didn't cause any practical difference in use. However, from the collectors point of view it is a "variation"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark...do you think it’s time that “we” come up with names for the various models?.....and then in 30 years time Greg can get angry like he does re “M76”? :-)

Seriously though, the “rivet-filled un-used holed version with the plastic cradle” deserves a letter, date and model number right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast