Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Eritrean helmets.

Article about: Does anyone happen to know what steel helmets the Eritrean armed forces have used since 1991? I have yet to see a single photograph of Eritrean military personnel wearing either steel or bal

?

Default Eritrean helmets.

Does anyone happen to know what steel helmets the Eritrean armed forces have used since 1991? I have yet to see a single photograph of Eritrean military personnel wearing either steel or ballistic helmets.

?

No helmet at all?
    Eritrea relied on captured Ethiopian equipment a lot.
    That place is a furnace and I doubt anyone would choose to put a stove on their head.
    A tin roof in East Africa is great for rain protection but a sweatbox when the sun comes out.
    Eritrea would be much worse.
    Helmets were designed for European conflicts and surplused out for proxy wars .
    Check for any footage from Sudan or Somalia through the 90's for comparison.

?

I have long thought this might be the case, although the Ethiopians have used a variety of steel helmets, even if not in the field. If the Eritrean army has no kind of combat helmet it is the only country (with some sort military forces) to be in this situation. The default helmet model for poorer African counties seems at present to be the Chinese GK80.

?

Found one...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eritrean helmets.  

?

Thanks for the photo you found.
    He certainly stands out in that crowd.
    A ratio of one helmet to one Landcruiser is interesting.
    As an MP he is tolerating that lid as a status symbol?
    Thank you for an intriguing thread.