Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French M78/F1 steel helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I've had an account on here for a while, but this is my first time posting on the forum. I recently started to collect helmets from other countries besides the US and wanted

Default French M78/F1 steel helmet

Hello everyone,

I've had an account on here for a while, but this is my first time posting on the forum. I recently started to collect helmets from other countries besides the US and wanted to know your thoughts on this one. I just bought this French F1 helmet on Ebay. It's dated 1979 and is named to a Sgt Legall with his blood type. The only thing I know about these helmets is from the little I've read about them online. Im also wondering if anyone knows why it's painted blue on the outside? Most of the ones I've seen are all green.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French M78/F1 steel helmet   French M78/F1 steel helmet  

French M78/F1 steel helmet   French M78/F1 steel helmet  

Last edited by Jenkum117; 01-08-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Blue for helmets used in UN service.

Cheers,
    Emile

Next you need the arid/desert cover....and the goggles of course.....

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if it was UN or French police since I heard they used these helmets too.

Do you know where I can find a arid/desert cover and a pair of goggles?

Great Example and i agree with Emile ,Light Blue for UN Peace keeping ,Dark Blue for Gendarmerie ( Police ) which are a branch of the French Armed forces.
    You Might be interested in Viewing one of a few existing threads on this Model Type More French F1 Helmets. French M78/F1 Lègion Etrangère
    Regards James

Hello Very nice early F1 in very good condition. You will need to keep it like this and remove the cover.
    This type of cover can only be used with the second model of F1.

Early F1 would have the "salade" cover.
    They started geting covers (Desert/Daguet) during the Iraky war in 1990.
    Your type of cover is the second model.

Anyway, I am very jalous of this found. The helmet is beautiful and rare. It could have been use in Lebanon.

Bruno

So the rubber-edged covers WEREN’T fitted to the F1s??? ONLY the Salade covers?

They were, but only on later versions.

F1 replaced the M51 and kept the Salad. Created in 1978.
    In 90 during daguet they issued covers that were similar to the one used for M51 (And too big) and with no Rubber edge. They used rubber from tires as for Salads or later on what is used to prevent the water to entrer through the door of a car. Sorry, I do not have the name.

The cover shown is the last type of cover and would fit with the second model of F1 ( Shinstrap with scratch instead of lit the dot)

Bruno

To clarify,

On top left 2d model of F1 with the salad. This one was worn in 92.
    Bottom right, Daguet's configuration
    Top right latest configuration with new cover

Bruno

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast