Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

French TTA M51 Modified TAP Helmet

Article about: Just to share this example from my collection of French Helmets ,This example shown has the standard swivel bails and placement on the shell found on the M51 but with an additional rear moun

Default French TTA M51 Modified TAP Helmet

Just to share this example from my collection of French Helmets ,This example shown has the standard swivel bails and placement on the shell found on the M51 but with an additional rear mounted loop and if i am right fits best the description what is know as "Gilles" modification which was produced before the introduction of the dedicated Troops Airborne Parachutist (TAP 56) Helmet ,as far as i know there is a previous M51 Airborne Model but using a liner with A Yokes and chinstrap similar to the US airborne M1 but paired with a standard M51 shell and which i have heard referred to as the M51/53 but whether that is the correct terminology i very much doubt but happy to hear otherwise ,This Gilles Model fills the gap between Ground troops and Airborne quite nicely and so have done a comparison of all three to show the evolution process with regards the bail placements etc ,the liner is also of interest as there are a pair of cut webbing section that i imagine would of originally held a chinstrap and on close inspection this webbing was not fitted in the A yoke configuration as there is no secondary cut webbing present at the rear where expected so i feel this liner was originally closely copied from the US M1 type used by france in Indochina ,Not to mislead the looped chinstrap section that forms part of the chincup and loops through the rear bail had to be sourced to complete what would of been the original appearance of this model type which you can probably tell from the colour difference French TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP HelmetFrench TTA M51 Modified TAP Helmet
    Regards James

?

Very nice James I am extremely jealous mate love the leather harness in this example a not often seen variation to this helmet and the net just tops her right off for me...

Regards Mark

Thank you Mark for the kind words of appreciation ,this model type has been on my wants list for a long time so was glad to find an example when one finally came along
    Regards James

Hi James

What a beautifull specimen!!!

Congratultion. Very happy for you

Bruno

Many Thanks Bruno for the kind words
    Regards James