Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?

Article about: Hi mates, I bought some helmets a few days ago, including this one here, which I would like to ask you about for a closer look. I'm just going to put some pictures of the helmet and the line

Question GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?

Hi mates,

I bought some helmets a few days ago, including this one here, which I would like to ask you about for a closer look.

I'm just going to put some pictures of the helmet and the liner here, little by little.

I would be primarily interested in whether the helmet and liner belong together in their respective states.

Many thanks in advance,
    Ro
    GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?

"swivel bail", and, "rear seam"
    GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?

The liner´s showin´ the decals of the (2nd Battalion), "6th Infantry Regiment" "Berlin Brigade".
    BTW, the liner is not Black, it´s Dark Green !
    GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?GI issued helmet of the 50´s / 60´s "good", or "bad" ?

What does the number 16617257 painted on the liner mean?
    Is that the personal number of the soldier who wore the helmet?

If so, is it still possible to find out the name of the soldier with this number?

What a lovely find, I'm sure I've read on the forum that the early 50s M1s had the painted hardware, then later the blackened finish. not sure on the number, I hope it is researchable....an added bonus to a lovely M1 with the Berlin connection.
    Cheers
    Paul

16617257 Would be his Army Service Number, but unfortunately it is not listed due to details being lost in the fire during the early 1970s. Love the Berlin brigade liner, well worth displaying on its own.

In a German-speaking forum, a colleague who is also very experienced in the field of helmets and whom we all know here at the WRF wrote me the following:

"Yes, that's a service number. 16 617 257 - it has 8 digits, which means it dates back to 1969.

16 is the Geographical Code for Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. The number block 307 001 to 683 100 was issued there between 1949 and 1960. That fits the manufacturing period of the liner quite well."

Thank you Sleepwalker!

I can answer here myself... but thanks

Most USM1 are "Frankensteins". Due to the long period of service from 1941 to the end of the 1980s, they were overhauled several times, and the liner and chin strap were replaced.

You have one too.

The calotte was painted over. The edge is closed at the back. The chin strap dates from the 1960's and is from North & Judd. The metal parts of the chin strap were also painted green.

The liner is a 1951-1955 model with HBT webbing and still has a hole in the front for a badge. It was painted black and badged. The neck strap is missing. The sweatband is a model from after 1956 to the 80s (can be seen on the webbing) Is there a stamp on it?

It is quite difficult to find an M1 in all parts of the period in first issue condition.

Yes, that is a service number. 16 617 257 - it has 8 digits, which means it dates from before 1969.

16 is the Geographical Code for Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. The number block 307 001 to 683 100 was issued there between 1949 and 1960. That goes quite well with the manufacturing period of the liner.

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    The liner is a 1951-1955 model with HBT webbing and still has a hole in the front for a badge. It was painted black ...
    Right now it´s painted Dark Green !

Do You mean, the liner is overpainted ?
    IMHO, don´t seem´s so ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast