Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Glossy black Spanish M42/79?

Article about: Came across this helmet at an antique store the other day, and I can't tell if it's a great find or a total dud... It seems to be a Spanish M42/79, but one that's been totally slathered in a

Default Glossy black Spanish M42/79?

Came across this helmet at an antique store the other day, and I can't tell if it's a great find or a total dud... It seems to be a Spanish M42/79, but one that's been totally slathered in a thick layer of super glossy black paint. It's really sloppily done, with the outside coat spilling over to the inside rim (see pictures), and I don't know if that's something someone has done recently or if there was some reason to do it while the helmet was in service.

Sorry they're not the best pictures...I had to grab them in the store and there wasn't a great place to set them up. What do people think? Is there some historical explanation for having that gloss on the outside but not on the inside? Or is this just someone's attempt at "restoration"?

?

Most likely a modern biker modification. Nothing historical that I can see just a recent black glossy paint added on.
    Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Most likely a modern biker modification. Nothing historical that I can see just a recent black glossy paint added on.
    I agree; while nothing is impossible in the long life of some helmets I very much doubt this was even a semi-official Spanish repaint. If it is modern house paint it might be easy to strip off and bring back the original factory finish. These helmets are nowhere near as easily found as they were years ago.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of... I don't know how someone can do that to an old helmet. Interesting thought about trying to strip it though. I've never done something like that before. Any idea how to go about safely trying to get the gloss off?

MAP
    ?

There are members here who have successfully removed paint but it's not easy and the results are not always good. Hopefully they will see this and opine
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)