Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Greek M36 Helmet.

Article about: Hi I would like to show my newest helmet, a Greek M36. As you can see the green is not repainted, the paint is both inside and out and the liner is a correct liner but not army marked like m

?

Default Greek M36 Helmet.

Hi I would like to show my newest helmet, a Greek M36. As you can see the green is not repainted, the paint is both inside and out and the liner is a correct liner but not army marked like most are. I have found this example of a slightly blue green helmet listed as a Greek Naval helmet but have not found any other information. The one listed also had the white liner, without the army mark and also had a drawn on letter and number (unfortuantly I didn't keep pictures of the helmet before it was removed). I did find a picture of the Greek navy wearing the M36 and it does look to be darker than a MkII that is in the picture. It is obvious that mine was used post war since it has a very nice M1 liner strap instead of a two piece strap it should. With that said does anyone know more about these? what the K71 might mean?
    Thanks for looking and if anyone has any information it would be appreciated.

Greek M36 Helmet.Greek M36 Helmet.Greek M36 Helmet.Greek M36 Helmet.

MAP
    ?

While I know little about these helmets, I was under the impression that they were of Italian origin. Don't know if that is true or not.

I've been wanting to eventually add a Greek helmet to my collection one day.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    While I know little about these helmets, I was under the impression that they were of Italian origin. Don't know if that is true or not.

I've been wanting to eventually add a Greek helmet to my collection one day.
    This was the thought until about 2011, when Greek historians started digging deeper into them and found that these were indeed a Greek design and Greek manufactured. The found book called “The armaments of Greece 1936-40” that talks all about the international tendering of the new helmet the Greece army was looking for starting Jan 1936, this tender was not fulfilled so they tendered the bid several more times until on Oct 15th 1936 six companies submitted samples. The contract was finalized on Dec 14th 1936 for the Enamel Industry and Metallurgy of Kea Greece to produce 250,000 helmets for the Greek army. Η Στολή - Το ελληνικό κράνος - ΑΝΑΒΙΩΣΗ 1940 (will need to be translated) and talks about meeting the last surviving worker who use to manufacture these. You will also notice in a small picture the same white liner and blue green helmet with two other helmets. This information seems to have been passing around Greek speaking collectors for about 5 years and only really hit English sites a year or so ago.

MAP
    ?

Well my Greek is unfortunately non-existent (you can blame my father for that LoL) but Google Translate to the rescue. A very informative article. Learned something new today. Thanks for the link!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I should mention that there is still some naming confusion with the naming due to the wierd background of these. I have seen them called the M36 (which I would agree with due to the contract date) other sites are still calling them the M34/39, and some sites still calling them Italian (including Wiki).

Your helmet is a nice M34 Naval Greek helmet (the naval is a much thinner and lighter model and the liner does not have the Greek stamp and is made of white leathear instead of brown), size 57 (the most common) with a wrong liner strap and postwar repainted.
    10 years ago and before, 20-25 pieces have passed through my hands and from them only 2 have the original color.
    The same helmet recently sold on ebay $220, I think overpriced.

Now, for the Greek helmet history, read the following (please, use google translator because its in the Greek language):

Το Ελληνικό κράνος του '40 - RedStar

Also, in this forum there are at least 2 threads:
    Greek helmet liners and chinstraps
    greek m34 - 39 helmet

Regards, Aghs
    * last pic is from naval destroyer Kountouriotis, Alexandria 1942
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greek M36 Helmet.   Greek M36 Helmet.  

Greek M36 Helmet.   Greek M36 Helmet.  

?

Thak you for the information. I didn't realize the change in weight on the naval to army and that explains it all was kinda shocked on how light it was. I suspected that the entire thing was done post war but finding a Greek helmet right now that has not had a MkII conversion is not an easy feat in NA. The strap is a early WW2 US made M1 helmet liner strap, with brass fittings and a great green painted adjuster (funnily enough probably one of the nicest liner straps I have seen in years).

What would the original navy colour have been on this if you don't mind me asking? This one has only one layer of paint on it, both inside and out and the same with the liner assembly. It is the same colour as one of the helmets in the Greek site linked. There is a picture of three helmet sizes the last is the same colour as this one.

I was pretty sure it wasn't an army helmet but this is the confirmation I need. I already knew when I bought this one that I would have to find a WW2 painted and properly strapped one, so if you come across a good one I know a home for already.
    Thanks for the information and time.
    Last edited by M.E.E.; 10-06-2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling

The first helmet -1 and 2 pic-has a genuine army color while the second one has the postwar color. As far as the naval one I don't think I've seen genuine color, these helmets appeared in recent years and in the initials they said that they are gendarmerie helmets.
    Regards, Aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greek M36 Helmet.   Greek M36 Helmet.  

Greek M36 Helmet.  

?

Quote by aghsmac1 View Post
    The first helmet -1 and 2 pic-has a genuine army color while the second one has the postwar color. As far as the naval one I don't think I've seen genuine color, these helmets appeared in recent years and in the initials they said that they are gendarmerie helmets.
    Regards, Aghs
    Interesting so there is still an unknown when it comes to the "navy" ones. The one I have, the one in the picture on that site and one other that I found all have had this blue green colour and the white liner (both other ones had the two piece war straps). It is really too bad that there seems so little is known about these helmets, they are an interesting helmet.
    Thanks for showing your really nice helmet and for the great conversation.