MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Ground dug Afghan Helmet

Article about: Happy Holidays to all! Annoyed from this ads?   I am about to list my afghan helmet for sale but I don't know the exact model German or Austrian helmet that this is. I purchased this he

Default Ground dug Afghan Helmet

Happy Holidays to all!
    I am about to list my afghan helmet for sale but I don't know the exact model German or Austrian helmet that this is. I purchased this helmet in 2007 from a guy in Fresno who had a batch of these that he purchased from a soldier serving over there and this one was one in the best condition. The badge is a reproduction badge I purchased to put into the empty holes that were on the left side as per its contemporary use by the Afghan Army. Everything else is original as it came out of the ground. In remarkable condition overall with the liner firmly in place and undamaged and pliable. I have never tried to remove the liner to look underneath for clues. Chinstraps are in the same condition and look locally made? Can anyone identify the shell so I can properly describe the helmet in the description, please. The paint is thick and am unable to see any stampings in the metal. I will post what photos I have now and if you want more detailed ones, I will happily take some more. Thanks to all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ground dug Afghan Helmet   Ground dug Afghan Helmet  

Ground dug Afghan Helmet   Ground dug Afghan Helmet  

Ground dug Afghan Helmet  
    Last edited by jalpalambo; 12-23-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: Ground dug Afghan Helmet

It is a German WW1 M18 helmet. Pretty rare. This one has been modified by the Afghans, who added the crest and some rivets. Liner and strap are Afghan replacements.

Cheers,
    Emile

Default Re: Ground dug Afghan Helmet

Thanks for your input, I thought that it was an M18. I assume the production was that much less because of the end of the war. Does anyone know how many were produced as opposed to the previous M16?

Where did you buy the Afghan Army reproduction badge. I have one of these but I am missing the badge

[QUOTE=Lasalsaburrida;1965445]Where did you buy the Afghan Army reproduction badge. I have one of these but I am missing the badge

I don't remember where I acquired the badge, but I may have a second one somewhere in my collection. If I come across it, I will reach out to you.

Alright thanks.

Amazing condition for a dug up, though I assume the dry conditions prevalent have left it largely intact.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.