Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet identification

Article about: Has anyone seen this helmet before, images are of Christian Militia in Lebanon 1976, I suspect it’s a locally produced, looks to be made of aluminum by the colour and bullet hole damage. T

?

Default Helmet identification

Has anyone seen this helmet before, images are of Christian Militia in Lebanon 1976, I suspect it’s a locally produced, looks to be made of aluminum by the colour and bullet hole damage.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Helmet identification

Helmet identification

No one in their right mind would bother to wear an aluminum helmet - You might as well wear a tin-foil hat, so I believe it is steel.
    I am thinking locally produced motorcycle or moped helmets?

According to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NWwuEIsiZk, they are from the KRF / Phalange

It does look like either aluminium or rather light steel at best to me. I guess there's a point where something is better than nothing; remember, an ordinary workman's helmet won't protect against high-velocity objects but it could and should protect against small objects just being tossed about or dropped, of which there are a lot in war. If there were people throwing rocks and bits of wood around you'd probably put a washbasin on your head rather than tough it out without. If you had any sense anyway.

?

.. well, these fellas are still alive..

?

Quote by JesperS View Post
    No one in their right mind would bother to wear an aluminum helmet - You might as well wear a tin-foil hat, so I believe it is steel.
    I am thinking locally produced motorcycle or moped helmets?
    I would agree with Greg, the video you linked, which is where I took the screen shots, the others are only wearing hats so the given the choice an aluminum saucepan would be preferable. The top picture, steel doesn't deform like that particularly on the exit hole.

I've never seen anything like so I do think it's locally produced.

I appreciate the interest!

Steve.

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    It does look like either aluminium or rather light steel at best to me. I guess there's a point where something is better than nothing; remember, an ordinary workman's helmet won't protect against high-velocity objects but it could and should protect against small objects just being tossed about or dropped, of which there are a lot in war. If there were people throwing rocks and bits of wood around you'd probably put a washbasin on your head rather than tough it out without. If you had any sense anyway.
    Thanks for the response Greg, I was hoping you would see this and maybe pull something out of your extensive references, but I think in this case no identification is validation that it's local. I don't see myself going to a Beirut flea market any time in my future so not much chance of adding one to my collection.

Steve.

possibly some type of safety hard hat for use by heavy equipment operator / construction crews