Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Helmet M1951 - Police of Baden-Württemberg

Article about: Hello, Like all other West German states, Baden-Württemberg introduced the steel helmet modeled on the M40 with a simplified inner lining for its police force in 1951. There are some varian

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Fantastic helmets! I had one once as the local disposals stores here stocked them in the late 90's early 00's for good prices, most of them the decals were deliberately scratched out! ...
    A fellow collector emailed me:

"Baden-Württemberg phased out its steel helmets in the 1990s.
    Before that, the coats of arms were usually removed.
    The Company STURM bought most of them (around 10,000 pieces) and exported them to the USA.
    There have nevertheless rel. many survived with coats of arms.
    The employee at the time was probably not very motivated to remove it."

By STURM, the colleague might mean the company TSR ?
    TSR probably stands for Thomas Sturm, Rottenburg, (Sturm Handels-GmbH.)

The "TSR" brand is said to have later become the "MIL-TEC" brand.

Another colleague once wrote:
    This is how Sturm describes himself:
    "The STURM Company":
    The wholesale company, Sturm Handels GmbH, was founded in Rottenburg am Neckar in 1971 and deals with the sale of army stocks, as well as the manufacture and sale of clothing and equipment from the outdoor area.
    The company has been represented in the USA since 1983 and in Tangermünde, Saxony-Anhalt since 1990."
    If he had ever been registered as a BW producer, he would probably adorn himself with it... "

You can also find the trademark TSR on reproductions of the Bundeswehr combat knife M1968, among others, on reproductions of extra sidearms of the Wehrmacht.
    To my knowledge, neither TSR nor MIL-TEC were manufacturers of knives or blades.

Here another one, "Württemberger", "M51".
    Also on this decal the "cats", (Lions, panthers, big cats), "jump" into the
    "wrong" direction !
    Have received this helmet with some other police helmets from Baden Württemberg in the past few days.

No manufacturer recognizable in the rim of the helmet dome.
    In the rim of the helmet the helmet size: 64

Lining size: 58

The name of the policeman was written in the lining of the helmet with a ballpoint pen: Wiertz

I've noticed that helmets with the "cats" "jumping in the wrong direction decal" are placed directly under the vent hole, whereas helmets with the cats facing in the right direction decal are placed a little backwards on the shell.Helmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-Württemberg

The "vents":
    Helmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-Württemberg

Hello,

an LS shell in terms of design.

Greetings

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Have received this helmet with some other police helmets from Baden Württemberg in the past few days.
    Here are the other two helmets from the Baden Württemberg Police Department which I was able to buy together with the helmet with the decals attached the wrong way round.
    One, an "M51", the other, an "M53".

Both helmets are made by LS / Linnemann & Schnetzer

Striking the different colors of the helmets!
    One in "police green", the other is more of a "grey".

I was able to buy the three helmets for a total of EUR 250 (USD 266.56 / GBP 222.20) including insured shipping, which I would not consider overpriced.

I would be interested to know if the letters EPW in red mean a police officer's initials, or (maybe) a specific department.
    I know helmets of the BGS / Bundesgrenzschutz (Federal Border Police) with abbreviations written in the lining, which designate a specific department.
    Helmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-Württemberg

Quote by Reibert View Post
    I would be interested to know if the letters EPW in red mean a police officer's initials, or (maybe) a specific department.
    I know helmets of the BGS / Bundesgrenzschutz (Federal Border Police) with abbreviations written in the lining, which designate a specific department.
    EPW could be (pure imagination) Esslinger Polizeiwache (Esslingen, Baden Württemberg), or Einsatzpolizei Baden Württemberg, just so you know what I mean.

This is a very interesting and strange point.

Can you take pictures from the side of both helmet? To see details in the shape of the helmets?

Quote by ogpsycho View Post
    This is a very interesting and strange point.

Can you take pictures from the side of both helmet? To see details in the shape of the helmets?
    I photographed both helmets from both sides.
    What details do you need?

To compare the shape of the helmets from the same camera angle. Like this...

OK like this ?
    Helmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-WürttembergHelmet M1951 - Police of Baden-Württemberg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast