MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police

Article about: Hello, After 1951, the federal state of Hesse, like the other 7 West German federal states, had to set up a riot police. For this purpose, but also for normal police service in special situa

Default Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police

Hello,

After 1951, the federal state of Hesse, like the other 7 West German federal states, had to set up a riot police.

For this purpose, but also for normal police service in special situations, a steel helmet was introduced.

However, the helmet of the Hessian state police differs significantly from all other West German police helmets of this time.

It is probably a helmet shell that was originally developed and manufactured for the fire brigade. It is made of quite thin steel, almost sheet metal, and is relatively light. Instead of ventilation holes, there are 2 embossed ventilation screens on each side.

As a manufacturer you can find VDNS = United German Nickel Works, swords on the helmets. "64" is the shell size and "B7" is the lot number.

The shell was painted in fir green.

The simplified inner lining is held on the shell by three split pins.

The inner lining is similar to the early BGS interior fittings M1951.
    It has a kind of helmet spider made of fabric based on the model of the US helmets.

The inner lining consists of a ring made of pressed cardboard, over it a felt pad, then a plastic film, over it a foam rubber layer and on the outside leather. The leather size is attached with a red color stamp.
    The inner lining has rubber pads around the outside.

The chin strap corresponds to the "gladiator helmets" of the air and civil defense.
    t is riveted to the cardboard ring. The size is changed by sliding.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police   Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police  

Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police   Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police  

Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police   Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police  

The end of many such helmets looked like this. Retired by the police, they were sent to civil protection or rescue services.

Therefore, they are relatively rare today.

Here is a former Hessian police helmet, which began a second life with the rescue service.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police   Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police  

MAP
    ?

Learned something new today. Never knew about this style of helmet before.

Thanks!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you.

I am pleased

Hi, mates,

another example of an helmet of the Hessian riot police, (Bereitschaftspolizei des Bundeslandes Hessen), manufactured by Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke, Schwerte:
    Helmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian PoliceHelmet of the (West-German) Hessian Police

Hi, this is mine: