Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Helmets of the West-German "Bundesgrenzschutz" - "Federal Border Guard " - M 1953 - Trial 3-point chin strap

Article about: Hello, here a West German M53 helmet of the Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) - Federal Border Police, which has been given a 3-point chin strap on an experimental basis. At a point in time that canno

Default Helmets of the West-German "Bundesgrenzschutz" - "Federal Border Guard " - M 1953 - Trial 3-point chin strap

Hello,

here a West German M53 helmet of the Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) - Federal Border Police, which has been given a 3-point chin strap on an experimental basis.

At a point in time that cannot be precisely determined, most likely in the 1980s, the BGS undertook tests with various 3-point chin straps.

Here is a codura strap with a cup for the chin.

The shell was also repainted on the outside in RAL 6012.

I have no information about the quantities of this conversion.

Helmets of the West-German "Bundesgrenzschutz" - "Federal Border Guard " - M 1953 - Trial 3-point chin strap

I would like to add something to this interesting thread from colleague Sleepwalker.

In this thread:
    West German Police Helmet ? ...

I presented two of my M1953 helmets with three-point experimental chin strap suspension.

These two helmets differ from Sleepwalker's helmet simply by the color and structure of the shell.
    Both of my helmets also have ventilation holes, but Sleepwalker's helmet does not.

I have now received an M1953 which has the same design and color as the helmet shown here by Sleepwalker.
    I showed this helmet in my thread above.

Hello, whether the helmets have ventilation openings or none doesn't matter in terms of origin and purpose.
    Of course they are interesting for variant collectors.

According to Bär ´s book "From Steel Helmet to Combat Helmet, Part II", the BGS has carried out wearing tests with helmets with 3-point chin straps.

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello, whether the helmets have ventilation openings or none doesn't matter in terms of origin and purpose.
    Of course they are interesting for variant collectors.

According to Bär ´s book "From Steel Helmet to Combat Helmet, Part II", the BGS has carried out wearing tests with helmets with 3-point chin straps.

Regards
    Yes, I know, I have the book.
    I don't doubt the originality of your helmet and my three helmets with three-point suspension.

Pity that our three-point chin strap is not shown in Baer's book actually. ...