Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with ID of this helmet please

Article about: I have been offered this helmet and it's not one I have seen before, anyone know what country would have used it? Thank you for any help

Default Help needed with ID of this helmet please

I have been offered this helmet and it's not one I have seen before, anyone know what country would have used it? Thank you for any help, Sorry trying to upload photos from my phone i will add photos as soon as i
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with ID of this helmet please   Help needed with ID of this helmet please  

Last edited by kradman; 06-22-2023 at 08:20 PM.

Well, that's interesting. I had a couple of immediate ideas all of whivh turned to mud when I did a bit of checking. Any further infortmation - like what is it made of, where is it located now, etc etc. To save other people checking I'm pretty sure it isn't a French Gueneau export product, a Paulista helmet from Brasil, or - least likely of all and daft to even mention it - a Portuguese M16.

Never seen anything like it. An educated guess would be some kind of old civilian helmet. Most likely mining or construction.

Quote by JesperS View Post
    Never seen anything like it. An educated guess would be some kind of old civilian helmet. Most likely mining or construction.
    Not impossible, but it doesn't look strong enough for that, unless it is more a 'hat' than a 'helmet'. It does have a military look to it, which is why my first thought was it being a Gueneau helmet as supplied to some ex-French countires in Africa. That's still my best thought, actually, even though I have not found an image of one like it. Also checked other colonial nations like Belgium and Spain.

Thank you both . i looked though 100's of helmets last night online and couldnt find a match

Interesting helmet Krads can i ask what it is constructed from as it looks perhaps a steel shell ,the two tabs in the shell inner liner would they be remnants of where the two part chin strap would of been stitched into the liner band and the leather strap around the circumference makes me wonder the purpose ,all in all an interesting find that throws more questions than answers ,hope you gain some closure
    Regards James

?

I had seen a helmet with leather strap around it before and found it in the Haselgrove & Radovic book on WWI helmets. It was listed a British private purchase helmet the images are of a Portuguese style M16 (corrugated shell) but the liner is the same as your 4 quadrant felt. Is it sewn into the shell though holes in the shell underneath the strap?

The Portuguese M16 was manufactured in Britain.

I did a bit of searching and found this example, which is pretty close apart from the addition on the tongued liner.

Just a moment...

Images and description in case the link goes

WW1 British Officers Private Purchase Steel Combat Helmet, retaining much of its original brown field paint finish to the exterior and interior of the shell. Brown leather strap to the centre of the exterior of the helmet. Interior has private purchase leather liner system with cork padding and blue / grey cloth to the crown. Thin brown two piece leather chinstrap. Very good example of an early war private purchase officers steel helmet

Steve

That's an excellent spot. I'm sure you are right even if the liner is different - which could well have been a personal preference. I'd never have found that as I know almost nothing about UK private purchase helmets (except for the 'Portuguese', because its 'Portuguese'...) , or indeed of Great War helmets generally. Good thinking that man.

Thank you guys i will post some more photos when i get a chance