Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

IDF beret, identification please !

Article about: Hi, mates ! Annoyed from this ads?   Don´t know, if I´m right here ? ... Bought this, israeli, beret today. Any informations regarding the unit ? It´s a pretty small size ! Maybe for fe

I am going to piggy back on the back of this thread as those with any interest or knowledge will spot this as I am not sure that we have a dedicated section for such items.

As some will know I recently built up a small collection of Israeli/IDF head gear items and bought this green beret.

It appears to have a modern Infantry badge with clutch pin fittings on it, but it can be seen that previously it had a lugged badge. the colour is the odd green shade used by the Nachal Brigade from the early 1980's on. The brert it self appears to be an old type as it has been spun on a proper beret making machine which on western berets is not something I see any more. you can see it is properly faded in places and has some Hebrew writing on the inside.

I'll probably replace the badge with an earlier lugged version of the infantry badge at some stage.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IDF beret, identification please !   IDF beret, identification please !  

IDF beret, identification please !   IDF beret, identification please !  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A picture of the Nahal Brigade beret in wear showing the good colour match with the one I bought.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IDF beret, identification please !  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Hi Jerry, welcome to the club!
    The badge on the beret you have is Logistics Corps. It’s hard to get good information on IDF stuff, but I believe that officers who are transferred between commands keep the beret of the their original unit.

It’s possible the previous owner was transferred from Infantry to Logistics.

In an attempt to back up what I’m saying, I found this photo on the IDF website, this colonel has a Nahal beret, but a Medical Corps badge

https://www.idf.il/en/minisites/tech...s-directorate/

I couldn’t make out any of the Hebrew.

Steve.

?

Jerry, if your are going to get an Infantry badge, there are two types (ignoring the early state badges).

The earlier version was discontinued in the 70s.

The one below is the correct one for your beret, difference is in the the left hand word ‘Infantry’ had and additional letter added at the front, reading right to left to make it ‘The Infantry’.

Israel Army IDF obsolete insignia Infantry hat badge | eBay

The best book I’ve found on IDF badges is this currently on ebay, it’s doesn’t have anything descriptive but hundreds of examples for all periods, and some interesting Palestine related British stuff.

jewish and IDF cap badges.buckles catalogue approx 50 pages from all years WOW!! | eBay

Steve

Thanks Steve, I did read during my research about keeping your old badge on transfer to a new unit and thanks for showing the correct infantry badge.
    Regards,

Jerry

Black armoured corps beret from the 1970's with the early type Infantry badge which seems to have been on it for a long time.

I think the beret is a French made private purchase type popular at the time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IDF beret, identification please !   IDF beret, identification please !  

Regards,

Jerry

?

That's a nice pick up Jerry

?

I'll add mine to this thread as well, only two (at the moment)

First is a General Service Corps, three piece construction, nice find in this one was a manufactures stamp with a 1970 date, it's faded and doesn't come out well in the photo.

Badge is correct for the periods and has been fixed by folding over the split pin lugs

?

Signals / Communications Corps, black beret, three piece construction, 1970s.

Badge backing has name and number written on it. The only stamp inside is the size number 5

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I'll add mine to this thread as well, only two (at the moment)

First is a General Service Corps, three piece construction, nice find in this one was a manufactures stamp with a 1970 date, it's faded and doesn't come out well in the photo.

Badge is correct for the periods and has been fixed by folding over the split pin lugs
    I have seen a 1976 dated example of this colour and three piece construction, it was for sale, looks nos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IDF beret, identification please !  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast