Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iraqi M80 helmet ?

Article about: Hi I think this is a Iraqi M80 Helmet a South Korean design there are no markings on this helmet Thanks for looking

?

Default Iraqi M80 helmet ?

Hi
    I think this is a Iraqi M80 Helmet a South Korean design there are no markings on this helmet
    Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?
    Thanks for looking

Well, you are more or less correct. It is an Iraqi product, though no-one *really* knows the correct designation (well, no-one I know anyway!) and although it is usually referred to as the M80-03 that may be completely wrong. You're right in that it is derived from a SKorean design that was exported widely, including to Iraq.

Take a look here Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets KOREA, SOUTH KOREAN HELMET helmet, Kevlar helmet and here Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets IRAQ, IRAQI helmet, Kevlar helmet also here IRAQ and here Pagina nueva 2

Robin nice example ,most seem to show little usage ,ive seen two different salade's used most seem to be green but there are tan one's out there but never seen to come onto the uk surplus market ,have you doubled checked for markings ,ive seen example's with a green stencil applied to the exterior shell usually a star within a circle ,i have to agree with Greg as the war in iraq in 2003 started in march so these helmets must predate this time period but by how long i really dont know ,all i do know is the liner configuration and flattened rivits are in a similar configuration to the fedayeen saddam helmet which is also a helmet supposedly issued in 2003 ,be good to get some hard evidence of when these were first issued
    thanks for sharing ,James

Default Iraqi helmet

I remember a member brought one back from DESERT STORM with the same type of camo cover and webbing, so my guess is these date from roughly sometime between 1989 - 1990's and later? they're one of the last of the Saddam era mfg helmets.

and I remember it was in well used / rough condition, so it had to have been around for a while before it was captured during the first Gulf War / Desert Storm era.

for a helmet to show this kind of weathering / usage in 1991 , I would think they were already in production in the late 1980's or early 1990?

here is the photo of the helmet brought back from the first Gulf War in 91

maybe the correct name should be something like M80/90 ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iraqi M80 helmet ?   Iraqi M80 helmet ?  

?

Hi
    I use that website a lot and is in my bookmarks i do recommend it. I did use it when i was checking this helmet out

maybe the reason so many are found in new / mint condition is because they were in storage for a while until they needed them, I heard some members claim to have found warehouses with new helmets in crates at the Iraqi air base or supply depots.

just because they appear new doesnt necessarily mean they were made yesterday.

?

I,v just checked the helmet again and there is a faint stamp inside the helmet not sure if its says the size 55?
    Iraqi M80 helmet ?Iraqi M80 helmet ?

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    maybe the reason so many are found in new / mint condition is because they were in storage for a while until they needed them, I heard some members claim to have found warehouses with new helmets in crates at the Iraqi air base or supply depots.

just because they appear new doesnt necessarily mean they were made yesterday.
    That makes sense Iraq was/is a poor country so didn't what the helmet getting damaged so only issued the old m1 helmets to army in peace times ?

Quote by Robin View Post
    I,v just checked the helmet again and there is a faint stamp inside the helmet not sure if its says the size 55?
    it's most likely some type of acceptance stamp, because these helmets were only made in one size, the same as the M1 style helmet liner, size is adjusted by the headband.

Default helmet in use by Iraqi forces 2004

Soldiers from the new Iraqi army's 1st Batallion 'detain' a US soldier (L) as another plays dead during training in Mandali, 110km northeast of Baghdad near the Iranian border, 07 January 2004.

Ive seen some more recent photos and they still use these helmets in Iraq
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iraqi M80 helmet ?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast