Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro with "cover" (???)

Article about: Here's something I haven't seen before, but not sure if its unique/rare. In my collection, I have have an Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro. But this one has a cloth cover.

MAP
    ?

Default Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro with "cover" (???)

Here's something I haven't seen before, but not sure if its unique/rare. In my collection, I have have an Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro. But this one has a cloth cover. Someone said it was considered a camo cover but I have no idea.

Any thoughts on the Hat and cover?

(Will have a few more posts today (hopefully) of some of my other Italian Headgear if anyone is interested.)

Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro with "cover" (???)Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro with "cover" (???)Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro with "cover" (???)Italian 3rd regiment Bersaglieri cappello di feltro with "cover" (???)

very nice.

MAP
    ?

Thanks. Ever see one with a cover? I haven't so far.

An old Italian guy in the next village was in the Bersaglieri as a dispatch rider in the Western Desert. He once got picked up by some Afrika Korps troops in armoured cars who thought he was deserting and nearly shot him until he produced orders signed by a German general and a pass for allowing his free movement in all areas. Anyway, he told me that being stylish young dudes, him and his mates used to cut back the brim on these hats and stick an extra bunch of turkey feathers in the band to look more rakish! Even today he claims he looks just like Ronald Colman due to his pencil moustache, even though he must be about 90 years old now, quite the character....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

dashing! But Turkey feathers?? Crow would be better. :-)

Quote by MAP View Post
    dashing! But Turkey feathers?? Crow would be better. :-)
    That's what he said! Although I understand they are actually from a black grouse or a Javanese type gamecock. So it probably lost a bit in translation over the years!! He's a great old guy who made his money in ice cream vans and only retired when he was in his late seventies.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

Ahh and unfortunately all this will be lost in the next few years..sad....too bad we can't collect all of these stories......this is what makes this hobby so interesting. I know an old Luftwaffe pilot who was shot down, spent many years in a russian POW camp, made it back home alive and then moved to the US in the 50's. I talk to him everychance I see him at the local shows.....

You're right, this old chap was captured in the desert in 1942 and sent back here where he was put to work on a farm in Ludlow. After the war he married a local girl and moved just over the border from Shropshire to here in Staffordshire.