Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Italian m33

Article about: Hi all, I've had this lid for a while now and I've heard conflicting things regarding the 'Z' stitching on the liner. This one has a Z but the top of it is over the lip of the liner. It's be

Default Italian m33

Hi all, I've had this lid for a while now and I've heard conflicting things regarding the 'Z' stitching on the liner. This one has a Z but the top of it is over the lip of the liner. It's been suggested to me that this is pre-war, but other sources differ when it comes to the stitching. Anybody able to enlighten me? Stamp appears to be B119

Italian m33Italian m33Italian m33Italian m33Italian m33

?

Mu understanding is, parallel stich is pre war / war time, Z stich can be war time and was used post war. Without a stamp there is no way to accurately say.

The shell based on the rectangular bales is war time, repaint would indicate post war reissue.

I don't know about the serial numbers.
    Steve.

MAP
    ?

What is the color of the felt under the lining. Yellow is post war, orange is pre/war time.

Roberto (OldSteel) is a wealth of knowledge on this as well as a few others. Certainly, my feedback on these is not one of authority.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is orange. Doesn't look repainted just very rusty, has a nice patina. It appears B is for Smalteria Metallurgica Veneta in Bassano del Grappa. Thanks for the feedback!

?

I should attempt to clarify my ‘repainted’ comment.

The image below you can see the gray/green paint around the vent, this would be the original color for a WWII period helmet. There is a lot of surface rust but it definitely looks like there is another paint visible which is a brown/khaki and is normally a post war applied.

Italian m33

Steve

Hello everyone,
    sorry, I have only read this post now and I reply a little late, however if I can help I give you my opinion.
    For a number of reasons, already partially exposed in the previous explanations:
    Rivet model (n ° 2)
    Rectangular chinstrap lugs
    Orange felt
    First pre-war "sage color" paint

I believe that this helmet is pre-war, but not of very early production, I would say that it was produced between 1937 and mid-1940.
    Another important clue is the leather of the liner with the holes for the adjustment lace without metal eyelets, of the early type; the "Z" seam came into use in the very last 30's and was then maintained even after the war.
    It is difficult to date the repainting looking at the photos, the color is very altered by time and oxidation, but it could have been done after the end of the war.
    It is interesting to remember that after the entry into the war, therefore starting from June 1940, all the helmets already in use were repainted in a dark gray-green color.
    As for the lot number, the opinion is actually widespread that the letter "B" or "BB" identifies the manufacturer "Smalterie Venete", even if it is not a certainty.

Regards
    Roberto