Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Italian M33 from the Eastern Front?

Article about: I bought this as a young collector many years ago and the guy who sold it said it had been whitewashed for use on the Eastern Front. I know nothing about Italian helmets and was just happy t

alfredely
    ?

Default Italian M33 from the Eastern Front?

I bought this as a young collector many years ago and the guy who sold it said it had been whitewashed for use on the Eastern Front. I know nothing about Italian helmets and was just happy to have one in my collection. I'm in the process of selling it but I'm having second thoughts. Is it worth keeping?

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian M33 from the Eastern Front?   Italian M33 from the Eastern Front?  

Italian M33 from the Eastern Front?  

?

Default Re: Italian M33 from the Eastern Front?

Like you I know very little about these helmets, I do know they sell for a lot of money.

I like the look of it, keep it.

Regards.
    Opex

It appears to be a pre-war or wartime issue Italian M.33 characterized by the squat vent holes, rectangular chinstrap bales, and grigioverde (gray green) leather chinstrap. You'll notice that 58 is also stamped into the liner leather indicating size.

The white-wash concerns me... consider how extremely worn the interior of the helmet is... the leather is black and shriveled, leather is separating from the liner ring... yet the exterior, save for some scratches and chips that could be easily faked, looks very vibrant white. In my opinion, to be authentic, the white-wash would have to be more discolored...

i wonder if this has been used post war for military police use ,are there any decal or stencil remnants on the front
    Regards James