Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian M33 helmet identification

Article about: Hello Need some opinion about this helmet. It is obviously an Italian M33. The colour looks like grey-green pre-war type, as well as the rivets. My concern is the liner. I have strong doubts

Default Italian M33 helmet identification

Hello
    Need some opinion about this helmet.

It is obviously an Italian M33. The colour looks like grey-green pre-war type, as well as the rivets.
    My concern is the liner. I have strong doubts it matches the helmet.
    It looks too white, etc.

Italian M33 helmet identificationItalian M33 helmet identificationItalian M33 helmet identificationItalian M33 helmet identificationItalian M33 helmet identificationItalian M33 helmet identification

Can anybody comment anything in this regard?

Thank you
    Alexey

Interesting. I am not an expert on the M933, but I do have a couple and have read a fair amount about it. The liner looks good to me in all ways (I have one with almost the same colour leather) except for the fact that there is no sewn joint for the rear of the liner. This should be done in either a 'Z' shape (most of them so far as I can see) or two parallel lines like the '=' sign. An open joint like that seems unusual, but does not, I suppose, mean it is not a real liner. Things go wrong in factories.

One question - is there a little circular leather patch on the underside of the liner lobes where the adjustment lop goes through? That should be there, and would reinforce my feeling it iis a real one. I hope a real M933 expert comes along in a minute, and perhaps we will both learn something new.

Paint looks period (pre-war). The liner from the bit I know, if the liner fingers do not have metal grommets for the tie string, it's early. In that case, I believe it should have the parallel stitching in the rear as stated by Greg, which also is a feature of an early issue.
    D.

The rear seam is torn apart, that is why it is open. I got another picture of the liner.
    It does have at least one horizontal stitch. The other cannot be seen.

The seller says there is no marking on the inner part of the shell (from a little I know about M33 there must be a marking? something like two letters and a number).
    But there is something like a stamp on the chinstrap saying 1936

Italian M33 helmet identification

?

Looks ok. Are there size markings inside the liner? Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

I will get this helmet in some days and make more detailed pictures.
    Thank you to everybody for the comments
    Last edited by Alejovich; 08-03-2018 at 07:20 AM.

I have finally got the helmet. There are several remarks:
    1. There is another size marking stamped on the inner steel ring to which the liner is riveted. It says 57, the same as the size on the liner.
    2. There is a heat stamp on the rear part of the shell. It says B 255.
    3. There is a parallel stitching in the rear, just torn apart.
    4. Yes, there are small circular patches on the reverse side of the lobes.

See the picturesItalian M33 helmet identificationItalian M33 helmet identificationItalian M33 helmet identification

- - ------- - -

Yes, the size number is repeated (stamped) on the steel ring of the liner.

Yes, the size number is repeated (stamped) on the steel ring of the liner.

Compared to mine, which I am certain are WW2-period, yours looks like the real thing. Nice buy - and very good observation and fact-checking!

Just an odd tanning to the leather. Almost looks bleached. But I see no problems either
    D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast