Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M 1953 Bereitschaftspolizei Hamburg - West German Police Helmet

Article about: Hello, after the M1951 of the riot police of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world...ations-807994/ here the 1953 model. This model has also been discus

Default M 1953 Bereitschaftspolizei Hamburg - West German Police Helmet

Hello,

after the M1951 of the riot police of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg

M 1951 Bereitschaftspolizei Hamburg - West German Police Helmet - Two Variations

here the 1953 model.

This model has also been discussed on various occasions. Nevertheless, I wanted to give a comprehensive overview of this model here.

I am still not clear about the name of this helmet model, as I have not yet been able to find any documents.

It is really the last development stage of the model series, which began with the M1935.
    After 1951, attempts were made to further adapt the protection concept.
    Here you can find a shortened visor, a central fortification in the cathedral without the three side holes for the helmet pins and no ventilation holes.
    The helmet has an improved interior 1931 (I53), which could be adapted to the head size by means of an adjustable rail.

According to my observations, the first helmets of this type appeared from 1959. This is also supported by the use of the third and thus later model of the interior fittings 53.

For this reason I assume that these helmets were purchased in Hamburg from the 1960s.
    There are no dates in the helmets themselves.

The helmets of the riot police in Hamburg are glossy green-gray. As described, these helmets no longer have any external openings.
    The shell was made by Linnemann and Schnetzer Ahlen.
    The interior I53 comes from the Schuberth Werke in Braunschweig.

Attachment 1551433

Here, too, there are two coats of arms to the side. Those of the city of Hambrug and the Federal Republic of Germany.
    In contrast to earlier versions, the colors are slightly different here.
    The castle on the city arms is white and not light beige.

M 1953 Bereitschaftspolizei Hamburg - West German Police Helmet M 1953 Bereitschaftspolizei Hamburg - West German Police Helmet

Small inaccuracies caused by the manufacturer are also typical.

But are also a sign of originality.

The interior is fastened in the center of the shell by means of a screw. This bracket has a small plate with two lugs and is attached to the shell with four welding points.

This is already the third model of this inner lining, which came onto the market within about five years.

Under the leather there was originally a thin layer of foam, which has now mostly dissolved after all the decades.
    The leather is attached to the inner ring by means of aluminum split pins with oval heads. The inner ring is narrow and can be adjusted to the head size by means of a single row adjustment device.
    The interior fittings correspond to those of the helmets of the Federal Border Guard (Bundesgrenzschutz).

The chinstrap is attached to movable bails, which correspond to those of the US M1 helmet. These are attached to the shell by means of three welding points. The shape of the chinstrap corresponds to that of the helmets from 1935, but has production-related differences.

Regards

These are indeed a notable part of the evolution of this "species".

I have an identical example from my time in Berlin before the Wall came down when they were issued to the BePo there.

I am unsure of the official colour designation but it looks very close to RAL 7031 Blaugrau and they had no decals applied at all.

I don't recall ever seeing one that was not in mint condition and I don't think I ever them actually worn in public (?).

I got mine from a German Polizei colleague who was a bit surprised that anyone would be interested in such a mundane item

I did post pics here in post #209 but the colour rendition is terrible;

BGS Thread

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    These are indeed a notable part of the evolution of this "species".

I have an identical example from my time in Berlin before the Wall came down when they were issued to the BePo there.

I am unsure of the official colour designation but it looks very close to RAL 7031 Blaugrau and they had no decals applied at all.

I don't recall ever seeing one that was not in mint condition and I don't think I ever them actually worn in public (?).

I got mine from a German Polizei colleague who was a bit surprised that anyone would be interested in such a mundane item

I did post pics here in post #209 but the colour rendition is terrible;

BGS Thread

Regards

Mark

Hello,

With the Berlin blue-gray M53 helmets you mean these:

Helmet M1953 - Police of Berlin

They are available from new to used to olive-varnished. All kinds.
    There are also pictures of the construction of the wall in 1961, where they were worn.

Best Reagrds

Yep, that's the one.

When I said I had never seen them worn, I meant during my time in Berlin which was just the couple of years before the wall came down.

In 1961 I was only 2 years old!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."