Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M18/40 helmet cover

Article about: Hello i recently ordered a helmet cover for my m18, the shop advertised the earlier model with string tightening but what came instead was this later clip attachment one, so i was wondering

Default M18/40 helmet cover

Hello i recently ordered a helmet cover for my m18, the shop advertised the earlier model with string tightening but what came instead was this later clip attachment one, so i was wondering if it works for my ww2 kit or i need to get the other one, since i heard conflicting answers and some said the clip attachment covers were post war and some that they were issued mid/late war already.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18/40 helmet cover   M18/40 helmet cover  

Hello

As far as I am informed, Switzerland was and is neutral and was never involved in WW2. It is therefore a little difficult to speak of pre-, early-, late- or post-war when there was no war there.

These helmet covers were introduced in 1943 and were worn between 1943/44 and 1957.
    There were two versions. One with elastic bands and one with a pull cord all the way around.

Regards.

Yes i meant ww2 as time period ofc, i was just asking because i always see the elastic band/tightening string covers in most period pics from ww2 era so i was just curious when did the metal hook attachment come to use as there is no mention of it anywhere.

Hi

I am assuming that the early variant is the one with the pull cord. Revised earlier shako covers also have a pull cord.

The cover with the rubbers and hooks might have come later, although I don't know of an introductory year for this.

However, the later reference to the combat suit 70 still has hook fastenings. Hence my assumption.

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post

As far as I am informed, Switzerland was and is neutral and was never involved in WW2.
    Switzerland was never involved in WW2 ? ...
    Are You really that sure ? ...

wasn't Switzerland neutral? Has Switzerland declared war or got war declared? Was she involved in any fighting?

Hello, S.,

Switzerland was involved behind the curtain, for example, financially ...
    And, Switzerland was involved in combat action indeed.

Best regards,
    R.