Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet.

Article about: Hello everyone I found this M21 looking helmet online for sale. but it has stirnpaznerhorns and comes with a brow plate just like the M16, M18 helmets used by the germans in WW1. I Was wonde

Default M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet.

Hello everyone I found this M21 looking helmet online for sale. but it has stirnpaznerhorns and comes with a brow plate just like the M16, M18 helmets used by the germans in WW1. I was wondering If anyone has any information on this unqiue specimen.

M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet. M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet. M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet. M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet. M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet.
    Last edited by Kaikun2001; 08-14-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Well, this is very interesting. But I do wonder if it is genuine. The thing is, the Swedes did have an experimental type, produced by Germany, in the 1920s which did have the stirnpanzer lugs just as on a German WW1 type. It was otherwise very similar to what we know as the M21. There was also another test type - also with plate attachment points - which was much more similar to the German M16 of WW1.

I did have information on these Swedish experimentals but I can't locate it right now. I do have two photos of an example one of them - the 'M21 type', from the collection of Dave Powers, well regarded US collector. As you can see there is one major difference to the actual M21 and yours - the chinstrap attachment points, typ[ically German WW1 in Dave's example..

Also, yours has the post 1941 decals. It isn't *impossible* that one of a batch of experimentals might still be in service then but it seems unlikely. Add that yo the chinstrap issue and I suspect some creativity at work here. But I could be completely wrong and this is something really interesting and quite unusual. If I were you I'd probably buy it 'just because' if it isn't at some absurdly high price. I'll see if I can find more information in my files (which I thought were so organised...), and I very much hope someone with more and better knowledge comes in on this soon. very interesting!

M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet. M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet.

Thank you for the swift respons, I am also a bit skeptical. but since the armorplate almost looks made to be on this helmet. someone or the army has put alot of work on this thing. andy additional information would be great. Thank you

I seem to have totally lost the material on Swedish experimental of the 1920s. Which is annoying me a lot! But have a look here - M21 Swedish helm - scroll down to the post from RVLucy (Roger Lucy, well-respected collector in Canada) for some interesting stuff.

Apart from anything else it seems to show that at least some these helmets really were kept in some sort of active service up to and perhaps after 1941.

If I were you I'd buy that thing if its affordable - or tell me where it is!

Its going for just over 100 bucks, so its not so expensive if its a experimental. https://www.tradera.com/item/488161484

I think the information I had on these helmets is lost (I am horrified!) but I did find a copy of an old Geocities site by a Swedish collector (Stefan somebody - I think he said about fifteen years ago he was going to do a book about Swedish helmets, which is certainly needed so I wish he had).

Anyway, at this point in the past he had a collection of experimental Swedish helmets. This one is labelled 'HELMET FROM 1920 TRIALS'. I think now that both my original questions about this have been answered, and I was wrong!

M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet. M21(!18) helmet with stirnpazner lugs and browplate just like WW1 M16 helmet.

Quote by Kaikun2001 View Post
    Its going for just over 100 bucks, so its not so expensive if its a experimental. https://www.tradera.com/item/488161484
    Buy it now! I would if I were in the USA. That's a pretty rare thing.

Thank you for the useful information, I will put a bid on it. Maybe its the holygrail of swedish helmets. The auction ends in two days, so will ask around in some swedish fourms if they have any clue about this.

-Kai

If anyone on any Swedish forums can provide any information please post it here.

Personally I am now convinced it is the real thing. I wouldn't say is is the holy grail of Swedish helmets (though I could be wrong!) but it is an extremely unusual thing. If you have any interest in Swedish helmets you really should make an effort to get it.

Can you tell me if there actually ARE any Swedish forums useful to helmet collectors - I am particularly interested in Swedish helmets but I have not been able to find any Swedish forums similar to this one. I know my Swedish is really poor (worse than 'poor' really...) but I find it difficult to find *any* militaria forums.

I have not been very active in the swedish fourm community since I just started collecting a few months ago(I am 19). But I found this fourm its been active since 2004 Krigsforum.se - Sveriges storsta forum om militarhistoria

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast