Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M33 opinions please

Article about: Hi folks happy Easter This one has been puzzling me for a while now, It ticks most of the correct box’s for it to be a ww2 m33 helmet. Also I bought it from Italy. 1/ it appears that it may

Default M33 opinions please

M33 opinions pleaseM33 opinions pleaseM33 opinions pleaseM33 opinions pleaseM33 opinions please
    Hi folks happy Easter
    This one has been puzzling me for a while now,
    It ticks most of the correct box’s for it to be a ww2 m33 helmet. Also I bought it from Italy.
    1/ it appears that it may have been repainted at some point as there is paint all around the edge of the liner which you can maybe see in the pictures. This confuses me slightly as the paint is the same colour under the liner and in the dome yet no paint marks on the under side of the leather liner.
    2/ On the side of the helmet something has been sanded off ,has anybody any idea what this could have been, plus there is no sign of two layers of paint here which i find strange if its been repainted.
    3/the rivets holding the chin strap onto the bales seem to be stainless steel or nickel, any other examples i’ve seen or learned about seem to be made of mild steel and painted.
    4/ should there not be a makers mark (crown) on the side aluminium tab holding the bale, this one has no marks on the tabs.
    I see that m33 threads don’t really get a lot of replies so i am open to any opinions what so ever.
    Please ignore the anchor as I am sure it is an add on.
    Best regards
    Rod

Default Re: M33 opinions please

hi plumbob the liner and chinstrap look ww2 period and the lid has the post war colour inside and out its either repainted ww2 lid or refurbed using newer shell but thats just my guess i think we need a more expert opinion

Thanks col james as i say any opinions are welcome.
    The shell seems to be pre war or war time. The reason i say this is that its batch number is P43 which I have read is of that time period.
    Now I know that its definitely post war colour my only theory is that when it has been repainted they must have removed the original liner and chin strap after painting the outside which would explain the paint on the edge of the liner , then painted inside the dome, then refitted the same liner and chin strap, this could be the reason for the different rivets on the chin strap.
    I don’t know why they didn’t fit a new liner and post war canvas chin strap at the same time or use post war mild steel chinstrap rivets.
    Also they must have totally removed the original paint before repainting as i cant see two different coats on the sanded part.
    As I say only a theory, perhaps someone else has one similar who might chime in
    Thanks
    Rod

plumbob as you say the p stamp would be correct for that time period ,pity nobody else has commented though i wanted to hear more opinions kind regards james

Hard to judge paint on photos. Maybe some more photos of the paint with what it looks like in real life.

Thanks guys for the reply’s.
    The main things that puzzle me are the chinstrap rivets and what post war mark has been erased from the side.
    I see on ebay uk there is supposedly a generals helmet listed with a post-war liner but it has a new looking leather chinstrap which also looks like it has stainless steel rivets. Heres a link if anyone is interested.
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    Heres a close up of that anchor it may show the colour more clearer Magicdutchmen
    Best regards
    Rod

M33 opinions please