Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Model 8 Experimental Helmet

Article about: Greetings all, I come today seeking some assistance on an experimental WWI helmet: The Model 8. From my research, I can gather that around 1,300 of these were produced by the Ford Motoring C

Default Model 8 Experimental Helmet

Greetings all,

I come today seeking some assistance on an experimental WWI helmet: The Model 8.

From my research, I can gather that around 1,300 of these were produced by the Ford Motoring Company, they were never used in the war, and that few survive today. I see them selling at auctions occasionally but they are very hard to source. It seems the market value has dropped a bit over the years but it's still a rare, desirable piece. My question is to those that have some knowledge of the helmet, or better yet, actually own one. Before I go all in on a collectible item such as this I would love to hear some comments. Below are photos of the one I'm looking to purchase (the first seven images that is; the last two are a different sold example for comparison's sake). To start, I want to make sure it's authentic. It looks to be good to my untrained eye but I'd obviously like to be certain. What I do notice is that it has a much different patina than others I've seen online and is smooth to the touch (lacking the drab textured paint that I understand was original to the helmet). Also, the inside liner, leather, and strings look good, seemingly original/authentic. I was hoping for a bit of help and clarity to prove its authenticity and whether or not people think this example would be a desirable and worthy piece to add to my small, but growing, WWI collection. Thank you so much for any and all comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Sold Example

?

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions , But I have always found this model to be very interesting.
    I guess I like the medieval look to it.

Looking forward to the discussion on this one.

Semper Fi
    Phil

My example is in storage but I do have some not so great pictures of it. It is 100% correct, as, I believe, is the one you are considering. Hope these pix help. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Model 8 Experimental Helmet   Model 8 Experimental Helmet  

Model 8 Experimental Helmet   Model 8 Experimental Helmet  

Thank you Jim! What a beautiful example you have there! Your pictures both help and further act to confuse me. Haha. The one I'm considering does seem correct, and not a fake/replica. The only thing I'm hung up on is the exterior look and patina that are different than any other examples I've seen on the web. The examples I've seen look much more like Jim's and the "sold example" in my original post. I've unfortunately never seen one in person with my own two eyes so I've done my best to research online. Please keep the comments coming. Thank you!

​After much deliberation, going back and forth in my head what the right move was, I just finally said @#$% it and BOUGHT THAT DAMN THING! If my dad were still here he would say, "It's only money son". Haha. It's being shipped out from east to west coast but as soon as it comes in I will be posting some detailed photos to share with all of you that have been kind enough to share your thoughts. I thank you for your comments and all the support and help along the way.

MODEL 8 EXPERIMENTAL HELMET!!!! WooHoo!!!!

MAP
    ?

Can't help with authentication but what a great piece of history if it is all good. Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

My reference for these is the Haselgrove / Radovic ‘History of the Steel helmet in the First World War’ Vol2 and Chris Arnold’s ‘Steel Pots’

I think it looks good, the examples in the books have a similar condition liner. Comparing images with yours they match, I think these would be extremely difficult to reproduce. It looks like they are made from the No5 shell, hence the cropped brim and the rim being spot welded where it ends.

I was going to say 'all the photos I have seen they have the sawdust texture' but Helemt2id, proved that wrong before I could finish, there is one image in ‘Steel Pots’ that shows someone wearing one that isn’t textured.

My vote would be that it is a good one, congratulations.

Steve.

Thanks @MAP and @Tinhat! I really appreciate the vote of confidence with your findings from your sources Steve. I feel good about its authenticity at this point. Seeing is believing though (better high quality images would have been nice) I'll have the helmet in hand soon enough and will be sending the best images I can muster out promptly. I so appreciate your comments and welcome the conversation to continue. This is fun!

Congrats on the helmet! This is also my favorite of the experimental American WW1 helmets due to the armet style, I forgot where I read this but I remember reading some where that these were sent to France for field testing close to the end of the war though the armistice was signed before their use. Its kind of amazing how many helmet designs the US came up with but in the end choose the relatively boring brodie design. At a flea market a few years ago someone had a genuine model 5 (the one that looks like the swiss m18) in poor condition for 2,500 which they found in a barn in France so these prototypes can still be found. I Always wondered how these would do I could see the face mask being useful for trench raids (like the stirnpanzer) and sentry duty, but at the same time this thing would probably kill your neck if worn for too long.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Congrats on the helmet! This is also my favorite of the experimental American WW1 helmets due to the armet style, I forgot where I read this but I remember reading some where that these were sent to France for field testing close to the end of the war though the armistice was signed before their use. Its kind of amazing how many helmet designs the US came up with but in the end choose the relatively boring brodie design. At a flea market a few years ago someone had a genuine model 5 (the one that looks like the swiss m18) in poor condition for 2,500 which they found in a barn in France so these prototypes can still be found. I Always wondered how these would do I could see the face mask being useful for trench raids (like the stirnpanzer) and sentry duty, but at the same time this thing would probably kill your neck if worn for too long.
    Thanks so much @Politefaun! Yah, from my research the Model 8 was produced in November 1918 (same month and year the war ended) and was sent to France so that machine gunners could field test it. The helmet was meant mainly for gunners due to shrapnel face wounds and possible traumatic brain injuries. Since they could remain fairly stagnant the helmet could have worked quite well. I also read that although heavy, at a bit over 3 pounds, the balance of the helmet was pretty good so it was fairly comfortable to wear (but not sure how long it would remain comfortable). The eye slits were the main problem though due to field of vision limitations. By the way, sometimes I wish I lived in a place like Ohio where these barn finds seem to happen with some regularity, but I digress.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast