Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

My Vickers helmet

Article about: For those who do not know the story (copied from internet) : 'The Vickers helmet—in spite of its British manufacture, its ‘German’ style rendered it the butt of much anti-Irish British

Default My Vickers helmet

For those who do not know the story (copied from internet) :
    'The Vickers helmet—in spite of its British manufacture, its ‘German’ style rendered it the butt of much anti-Irish British propaganda. (National Museum of Ireland)
    During the 1920s the newly formed Irish Defence Forces began looking for a steel helmet. At first the French Adrian model, named after its inventor, August-Louis Adrian, was tested on a limited scale but was found to be unsatisfactory. Eventually it was decided to choose the German helmet used in the First World War, and in November 1926 the Irish government approached the German consulate requesting a modern sample. The German Foreign Office’s reply, dated 30 December 1926, advised that the export of steel helmets was prohibited under the terms laid down by the Versailles Treaty, and for that reason they were unable to comply. So the Irish Free State had to look elsewhere: an order for 5,000 helmets was placed with Vickers & Co. Ltd, London, and the design was to be based on the German pattern worn during the Great War. The German consulate in Dublin reported to the Foreign Office in Berlin on 16 August 1927 to the effect that Vickers & Co. had been asked to deliver the helmets ‘to be tested for their expediency during the autumn manoeuvres next year’.
    The helmet produced was similar to the German one except that the sides were more gently sloped and it was painted a dark shade of green. The most relevant features were the two small brackets affixed to the front to hold an officer’s pattern cap badge painted black and worn by all ranks when the occasion required. On the inside rim of the centre of the rear was a die-stamped inscription ‘V Ltd.’ with a serial number. The interior fittings were completed in Dublin and were stamped ‘T. Smith & Son, Dublin, 1927’.
    This distinctive helmet remained in use until it was replaced by the British Mark II model in 1940. In spite of its British manufacture, its ‘German’ style rendered it the butt of much anti-Irish British propaganda. Many of the withdrawn helmets were subsequently issued to various emergency services and painted white.'

Leather liner at one point completely broken, at another point partially broken and not fixed at the helmet anymore. Someone has ideas how to fix this without a lot of traces ? Helmet had imo 2 layers of white paint. Thanks in advance...

- - ------- - -

Arrows show where liner is partially and completely broken.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Vickers helmet   My Vickers helmet  

My Vickers helmet   My Vickers helmet  

MAP
    ?

Nice. I'm sure you are already aware, but the white paint (which almost all are found ) is from post military civil use.

A fairly rare helmet given that most were buried and bulldozed at one point in time.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If you give me the location where they are burried, perhaps some has survived

MAP
    ?

This link should give you a fulsome history. As noted,
    Over half were bulldozed as fill for new army barracks.in the 1970's

THE IRISH

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks MAP (think I have I brain disorder, never can memorise person's names)....Anyone an idea how I can fix broken leather band ? The liner is still attached to the helmet but has tendency to fall out. Leather band has absorbed a lot of dirt and is dry so super glue (if this is a good idea) will probably not hold.

MAP
    ?

Really no idea on the liner. Here is mine. It's been fully restored at one point. Maybe you can get ideas

Irish M1927 Helmet

?

Hello, personally I would softly clean it, clean gently the leather with with a good leather maintenance product. I would leave the paint as it is. It ended its carrier with Civil Defense, not a big deal. The helmet is very nice as it is.

Jack, that's how I see it too. Leave it as it is...It's part of the history of this helmet. It would just be more practical if the liner did not had the tendency to fall out at one side when I handle the helmet , as it is broken at some point.
    I wander where the circular lines come from on the right side of the helmet with the horn in the centre of the circle.
    @MAP : I hope you got your Portuguese M16 already...sold one recently with liner intact but skinstrap broken (had 2 of them).

?

For nice photos reference: World War Helmets - Casque Modele 27