Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

My Yugoslav war veterans

Article about: Hey all, 2 helmets came in today. 1st: A Polish Wz67, dated 1977 This helmet saw it's service in Yugoslavia or .. atleast some part of it where it was given a nice camo. Inside (leather part

Default My Yugoslav war veterans

Hey all,

2 helmets came in today.

1st:
    A Polish Wz67, dated 1977
    This helmet saw it's service in Yugoslavia or .. atleast some part of it where it was given a nice camo.
    Inside (leather parts) is filled with written stuff, but sadly 90% is so worn i can't read it I'm afraid.

2nd:
    Yugoslavian M59/84
    This helmet aswell is very used and has a very unique camouflage. Has a P written on the inside.
    Interesting to note is that someone scratched off the red star on the front before applying the camo.

Both helmets came from an ex-serbian seller who still has family there and moved to Belgium around 2005.
    Managed to collect plenty (a room full!) of helmets with camouflage or other unique features.
    They'll display nicely next to the camouflaged 2nd pattern M56 i got!

Anyone happen to know how to date yugo helmet?

Cheers,

J
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Yugoslav war veterans   My Yugoslav war veterans  

My Yugoslav war veterans   My Yugoslav war veterans  

My Yugoslav war veterans   My Yugoslav war veterans  

My Yugoslav war veterans  

There's no way (I know of) of dating the Yugoslav M59 except in the most general terms. There are two types of shell (very difficult to tell apart unless you have them side by side) but there are two liner systems, one with rectangular fixed clips and the other with triangular removable clips.

The believed date of introduction is 1959 for the first, fixed clip version, and 1985 for the version with removable liner, which is the one you illustrate. Many of these helmets originally had a serial number stamped in the dome of the shell which may have carried some information, but the chances of finding out anything that way are virtually zero now.

Does your contact have any of the ex-Swiss M48/62 as used by the Croats? Always interested in them.

Mine is a M59/85.
    the fixed liner was the latter one, and this one's liner is fixed.
    the serialnumber is gone or was never present sadly.

on an interesting note on dating, this helmet is for sure post-1984 but the fact it originally had a soviet star means it was made pre-1991.

as for the swiss helmets, he only had these 2 for sale and a camouflaged M56 which i skipped as i already own one.